Dat with cloud eye

49ersfan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2013
Bay Area, CA
Just picked up a couple new dats last night from a member and they where both perfect when i got them drove home and one had cloud eye when i took him out of the bucket. I think he may of hit his eye on the bucket on a bump on the way home. Wil this clear up on its own or is he going to be blind in one eye? (He is about 7" long dont know if that matters)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
Could have been ammonia from the ride home. Datnoids tend to get cloudy eye during transport very easily. Just keep the water clean and add salt at the rate of 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons and it should heal in a week or two

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Yep,aquarium salt and I doubt the cloudiness is due to an injury.Take a good look at the surface of the eye for any damage,try to view the dat from a face to face angle to get a good look at the surface.

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
I've seen several dat's get grey eyes from bumping into things, ammonia can also cause this as mentioned.

Either way treatment is the same, clean water a bit of salt, it'll clear up.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
It's common but usually there is also some sign of surface damage along with the cloudiness.There shouldn't be much to bump into during transit.

hulk181

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2012
Cerritos CA
Ive bought and sold a lot of dats and after moving them, I've noticed a lot of them get cloudy eyes. I think its from the stress of being in a bucket and from them hitting their heads on the sides of the bucket. I think its pretty common too. It will clear up with some salt.

One thing I've found is that transporting them in a bag instead of a bucket stops them from slamming into stuff and I never had cloudy eye problems using a bag.

49ersfan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2013
Bay Area, CA
Doesnt appear to be any surface damage, the ride home was only 30 mins but if u have ever been to the bay area u know most of the roads r like a dirtbike track lol, he is swimming normal and enjoying his new home ill do a waterchange tonight and add salt for 2 weeks see if it clears up. Thanks for the help guys.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
My first ST came down with a cloudy eye shortly after I got it home and you can probably imagine my horror but it cleared up in a day or so.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store