Best place for Snakeheads in US?

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Is there anywhere between here (NY) and fla to target larger snakeheads? Me and my Buddy's are going to an EDM festival there in the spring but they want me to have this figured out pronto so we can arrange everything. I'm sure we can find some bullseyes but I'd like to go for a northern or giant, I've heard northern are in the Potomac, which is on the way but I'd like to see if anyone knows of a population of giant snakehead (micro or diplo) that may be in range for us to hit up. We will be bringing kayaks so we are not restricted by shore fishing. Either going to hit up the fishing spot for a night on the way there or back, or both if its enough fun lol

Also, since they are invasive is bow fishing for them illegal anywhere? I'll totally bring my gear for it if its legal! We will be eating and freezing what we catch, I don't get a fish w/ a bow unless I know I'm eating it so don't be like "oh you shouldn't bow fish because you can't catch and release". I bow fish on my uncles pond (which is more of a lake really, its huge and partially manmade) with him, its our bonding time lol. I don't bow anywhere else because I don't like taking big breeding natives out

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

PwNz I R COLE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2012
Mt.Laurel NJ
Is there anywhere between here (NY) and fla to target larger snakeheads? Me and my Buddy's are going to an EDM festival there in the spring but they want me to have this figured out pronto so we can arrange everything. I'm sure we can find some bullseyes but I'd like to go for a northern or giant, I've heard northern are in the Potomac, which is on the way but I'd like to see if anyone knows of a population of giant snakehead (micro or diplo) that may be in range for us to hit up. We will be bringing kayaks so we are not restricted by shore fishing. Either going to hit up the fishing spot for a night on the way there or back, or both if its enough fun lol

Ultra music festival? and in the cannals in flordia you can catch them

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Noooo way I hate umf haha tix are insanley expensive and its all ages... screw that, I don't wanna see any little kids on rave drugs. Either Holy Ship or this one local one (name escapes me right now) by the everglades thats more laid back (we may have a line for cheap tix for holy ship since one of my friends is a well connected music person, but if he can't pull through were going to a local one).

I know we can get bullseyes in the canals, are there any other species in the canals yet that get bigger? We'll for sure be fishing a bit while were there but we wanna go after BIG snakeys

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
There is no populations of giant snakeheads in United States, only Northern and Bullseye Snakeheads. If you want big snakeheads, go after Northern Snakeheads of Potomac River system...few record sized snakeheads have pulled out of the rivers in recently years.

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
I've heard random things about giants being spotted but they also could be misidentified big northern, that's where I figured we would end up. I caught a small one on kayak by the mouth of the Potomac in the bay, brackish water. I was catching spotted sea trout, stripers, and dogfish out of the same water, was pretty surprised I pulled out that little guy. Summer 2012, it took me 3 hours by kayak to get to the Potomac area from where I was by the choptank

lyfeoffishing

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2013
florida
Although there are no known spawning populations in the US there have been some caught in the northern states. It's believed they were released either by hobbyist or someone who uses them for traditional purposes.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
I don't think you'll catching any giant snakeheads around here and 100% of giant snakeheads caught in the Americas were a released aquarium fish and not a offspring of a breeding population. The latest reports were in Canada where the snakehead keeping were legal (or illegal) and they found a dead giant snakehead on the shore, suggests that it cant handle the cold temperature and that it was an aquarium fish.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
The last giant snakehead were caught in U.S was back in 2005, tho they found a dead giant snakehead on a shore out of the river of Quebec in 2010.

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Figured that, but a big northern would be just as good as a diplo or micro so that's okay haha. Anyone know which area of the Potomac is best for big guys? I got too tired on that kayak adventure and couldn't go further into the Potomac, the one I caught in the bay was only like 7 inch

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
I caught a 1ft snakehead out in the potomac last year. I've heard that they are everywhere there but I've only caught one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store