DIY Filter...?

Redliw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2007
Around here
Howdy!
I just finnished a super cheap, mmm, I guess about 45-50 gallon tank (I have no tape measure, so I'm not sure of the measurments and volume) and now I need a filter. The pump will be a gravity pump, the waste water exiting about and inch below the waterline and freshwater going back in just above that to disturb the surface. Pump's not a problem, I'm building that this weekend (hopefully...) but I know squat about making a filter. I've seen some on here, but I don't rightly understand the construction or purpose of all parts and peices and lingo.
I was going to make the filter hold about three gallons and so that basically, the water exits the tank, flows through the filter and to the pump then back up to the tank.
Anyway, the question is, what do I do with this filter? Pot scrubbers? Wth is a drip plate and do I need it? Is there a thread that will break this down for me, like DIY Filters For Dummies?
This is all highly experimental by the way, tank, pump and filter, but the tank is holding water and the pump, theoretically, should pump (has waste water, still have to figure how to pipe that back to the tank without too much back pressure on an impulse valve). :D

chico3611

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2007
North NJ
Ive got a pretty cheap design im almost done with at home. I will post a pick for you this evening.

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/management/Uthup_Sump_Filter.html

http://www.skippysstuff.com/biofiltr.htm

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/wetdry.htm

And least we forget... http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34433&highlight=DIY+wet%2Fdry

Let us know if you have questions after you've digested that...:D

Remember you need a little dwell time for the water in the filter and Ideal W/D filter size is 1/3 tank size so maybe you should be thinking atleast a 10g.

Keep us posted...any pix?

Dr Joe

Redliw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2007
Around here
Thanks Dr Joe!
10g, wow, glad I asked first!
The only picture I have so far is of the tub filling to see if my acryllic was going to be pushed out due to the water's weight. There is a much larger window on the end where the surface was completely flat. What should be interesting is pictures of the pump. :naughty:
I'm not sure I'll ever put fish in here, I used so many adhesives I'm a bit nervous (hard to glue polyethylene to acrylic and get a bond I could trust).
Yeah but so far this is it and so far total investment about 10 dollars, includes everything but the tub which I got free.
It's 1/8" acrillic, one peice gluded to the inside and one to the outside with bonding cement and sealed with silicone (The stuff GE used to say was fish safe, doesn't say that now :irked:).

tub.JPG

Redliw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2007
Around here
I think I'm seriously overthinking and thus over complicating this whole filter thing. After looking over all that stuff it doesn't look so bad.
Oh well, it'll give me something to do until the weather warms up and I can play with ferrocement. :)

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Ferrocement is great fun for the DIYer, and with sanitred and pondarmor, you can make some neat stuff.

Could make a great Flintstones aquarium,,,:ROFL:

Dr Joe

chico3611

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2007
North NJ
here the pics of my set up....the plumbing is just mocked, I will start cementing in place tomorrow. Its pretty cheap. Both of the smaller containers are full of bioballs, feedint in to the large one which will house the two heaters, a bag of carbon filter and the pump.

Im sure your well on your way with Dr. Joe's refferences but I had already told you Id be sending pics so here you go.

PICT0229.JPG

PICT0231.JPG

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Nice work chico...Keep us posted on how it's working.

I think Home depot & lowes should cater to us a little more considering how much PVC we buy :D .

Dr Joe

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store