Small experimental 40 to 80 gallon acrylic build idea

Ocean Railroader

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2010
Richmond VA
I was reading over several acrylic fish tank build threads on this website such as this 350 plus gallon acrylic fish tank build http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?426786-DIY-Acrylic-6x4-(pic-intense) made out of clear acrylic sheets bonded to one another. There is also this man on youtube known as Joey who has several videos on how to make your own acrylic fish tank. And after seeing his video on making fish tank buildings and rocks out of fiberglass I have been able to start building my long talked about flooded underwater model city. But now with the idea of working with making my own fish tank out of acrylic. I would love to build my own version of the 350 gallon fish tank only make 8 feet long instead of six and there is even a company that offers 10 foot long sections of acrylic so it's quite possible that I could build a 600 gallon tank in the future if I find it to be the best route towards owning a 500 plus gallon fish tank.

But for the time being and for budget reasons I'm looking at the cost of building a small experimental 40 to 80 gallon acrylic custom made fish tank. How this fish tank would be made is it would be made out of 1/2 inch thick acrylic. The tank would be about a foot deep and a foot wide. The fun part is I'm debating ether to make it four feet long or eight feet long but for now I'm looking at building a four foot long tank. The concept of this tank is that it would be like having two to four 20 gallon fish tanks linked up to one another in a row. What I would use it for is as of now I might keep the two fan tail goldfish I have now in my 20 gallon and move them to this strange long tank and sell the 20 gallon. Also when I get a bigger place and some more funds instead of now with my limited funds and space. I would at some time in the future when I build the 600 gallon acrylic tank with the ideas and info I learned on this smaller build. I would cut two six inch across holes in each side of this super long 20 gallon shaped tank and add PVC pipe fittings to each side and into the two giant tanks in the room and use it as a future water bridge between the two super tanks.

But for now I'm planning on building a small acrylic tank to see what it is like and to try build a very long 40 to 80 gallon fish tank.

Would anyone have any ideas if I can use 1/4 acrylic for this one foot deep tank instead of 1/2 or should I use 1/2 inch right now in case I do cut pipe fittings into both ends of the tank some time in the future?

cdrake261

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2013
Nashville, IN
I calculated a 225-ish gallon tank would require 1.5" acrylic, priced about $500 plus shipping per one larger front or rear sheet of acrylic window pane.

For your experiment tank, according to a calculator I've used, you would need at least 0.419" thick pane if you wanted a 8' long tank that's 12" high, or 0.417" thick if you decided on 4'. I'm sure there's a safety factor built into the calculator, but it never hurts to go a little thicker.

Ocean Railroader

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2010
Richmond VA
I tested this idea on several acrylic calculators and it says that for a one foot deep fish tank and it said to me that 3/8 inch acrylic would work fine by a good safety factor. But lately I was studying the behavior of my fish in terms of how wide a bridge tank would have to be and I'm thinking about cutting down the size of the water bridge tank down to eight inches deep and eight inches wide in that by doing that would allow me to save at least $50 to $70 dollars. Also a narrower gauge water bridge would allow the tank to save on weight which would allow it to use thinner acrylic walls and allow it to save weight so it will need less support when it is laid between two large fish tanks. Down below is a digagram of what I plan on building it will sit up high on a taller custom built bookshelf that will store telegraph insulators and books under it. The tank will be anywhere from 48 to 96 inches as for now I'm thinking a 48 inch long version would be good in that it will make it easier to store.

super long 60.JPG

super long 60.JPG

Ocean Railroader

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2010
Richmond VA
I have goodness I did build this tank idea as a 30 gallon acrylic tank that is a foot deep and foot wide and four feet long. I do now have plans of building a eight to 16 foot long version of it to link to large fish tanks in a room when I get my own place. But as of now I have a nice 30 gallon acrylic tank that is the first ever tank that I built.

The Dream that holds water 007.JPG

View attachment 1005225

The Dream that holds water 007.JPG

paulW

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
ohio
Tank looks great.. I'd like to try something similar someday. Thanks for the thread..

Phixer

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2007
CO & CA
Id use 1/2" or 3/8" material. 1/4" is really too thin and flimsy for a quality job you want to last even at 12" high.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store