Freshwater rodi filter? Help

tavydown

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2012
boston
Hey all, so I have two different tanks set up in my office at work, one predatory tank in my main office and one frontosa tank in my back office that no one uses. (Using it as a hidden grow out area) I do my typical 25% wc usually once a week sometimes twice. However my water still doesn't always look the cleanest, I'm thinking it has something to do with the water. Today my employee brought in a rodi filter and the sponge was completely white now after about 30 gallons made it's pretty much yellow. Do you think my water supply is bad and I should keep this filter on or will it make not much difference. I'm considering buying a slightly larger one than his because he only has one rated for about 60 gallon per day and I have a 125 in my office and a 55 in the back. Any experience with using these or any tips ? Plus I never thought the water here in Lowell was the best anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The problem with RO/DI is it tends to take out the minerals that fish like frontosa need to osmoregulation. The rift lakes have high alkalinity, high pH and high hardness, and RO DI tends to remove much of these things. The rift lakes also have pristine water quality.
You'd be better off doing larger water changes, cleaning mechanical filter media more often and vacuuming the substrate.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
I wouldn't use the ro, especially with rift lake fish, unless necessary to remove nasties from the tap water. What are the parameters of the tap water and tank water?

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

kavin2845

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2012
Malden,Massachusetts
Unless your Water quality is really crap, then you don't need it in fact as others said there are trace elements in water that freshwater fish need, mostly reefers use RODI water since corals are pretty sensitive and don't tolerate fluctuations in water quality much, not only does weekly water changes remove the build up of nitrates but also replenishes the trace elements in the water, so if you want clear water upgrade biological filter and do bigger water changes, and most freshwater habitats in the wild are not crystal clear, i personally like a tinny bit of a color on my tanks but i do see the appeal in crystal clear water.

Good luck!

tavydown

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2012
boston
The water quality is pretty ****ty in Lowell. Not the best water sources and the building I purchased probably has the original plumbing from 1970. I do have live sand in the frontosa tank so I'm thinking that will help keep the water quality where it should be for them? What do you think

kavin2845

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2012
Malden,Massachusetts
The water quality is pretty ****ty in Lowell. Not the best water sources and the building I purchased probably has the original plumbing from 1970. I do have live sand in the frontosa tank so I'm thinking that will help keep the water quality where it should be for them? What do you think

is it the live sand by Carib sea? if so i dont think it is meant for freshwater also the live bacteria in the bags are mostly dead and you really only paying for waste in your tank, maybe that could be another reason for water quality not being so good also the live sand doesn't do much for the Frontosa they need a Ph from 7.8-9 which is pretty high, check you Ph if its less than 7.8 then get some ph buffers if its higher thank 9 get something that will reduce it i personally i dont use the chemicals that reduce or increase the ph(mainly because they only work for a short time and you have to keep dosing which can be costly) i prefer a natural way of doing it, for example to increase ph use a filter mesh bag and put some crushed coral in it then put it in your filter this will increase ph and if you want to lower get some peat throw it in a filter mesh bag and put it in your filter this will lower ph, im in Malden and my house is pretty old i don't have problems with water quality, do you have an test kit? if so can you test your water straight from the tap after you dechlorinated it and post a picture up with the results? we can help you better like that and find out the problem, but if not i HIGHLY recommend you getting one its the MOST important thing in this hobby!! ill put up a link of the crushed coral and the test kit(its better to use the liquid test kits over the strips, since the strip are often very wrong and give very poor results) you can find peat anywhere they sell garden supplies(homedepot,walmart,lowes etc.)

Crushed coral im pretty sure your local LFS has it s it would be faster to buy locally than online
http://www.bigalspets.com/coraline-...son+Shopping&gclid=COjLkJ2xv7sCFSHNOgodWBsA-g

API liquid test kit cheaper online store sell them anywhere from $20-$30 depending on what store it is
http://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwate...8&qid=1387562621&sr=8-1&keywords=test+kit+api

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store