Cichlid farm

tavydown

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2012
boston
So I know this has been brought up time and time again for thoughts of making money etc, a friend of mine and myself are considering starting our own little African breeding place. Now in terms of utilities etc, I own a commercial building and my tenants are paying for electricity and water. This is pretty much for the hobby maybe make some side cash but mostly just to keep the hobby alive and interesting. Any one experienced or have tried this or anyone who has done this before how did you do it what did you think worked and vice versa. Also what do you guys think would be the best cichlids to start pumping out fry that is sought after. Currently I have a colony of frontosa that I am working on getting into breeding form (far from it maybe a year or two) and we also thought probably acei and demasoni. What else do you think we should do and what we should stay away from. Let's kick some idea around. 👍

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
Just so you know this is when it stops becoming a hobby and becomes work. I talked to a guy that started the very same type of business and he was telling me about his long days and how much work it really is. he said it is not really different from farming corn or cows. Its long day and one mistake can wipe out your whole profit. I was really surprised how much goes into it.

As far as types of fish go with fish that don't breed easily at home. Local stores are already filled with Firemouths, convicts, kribs, angels from local hobbyist. I would also stay away from mbunas they already have large farming places and will be hard to get to the price point already established companies are at.

I would look into different types of peacocks and haps. Not hard to breed but most people don't want a tank full of colorless females and only 1 male. they also seem to be very popular and if you keep them until they are fully colored you can get allot more money for them.

Different types of Frontosa are popular Zair Moba, mpimbwe.

This is pretty much for the hobby maybe make some side cash but mostly just to keep the hobby alive and interesting. 👍

I think this idea might do the opposite for me. :) I'd love to work at an aquarium though. I have no interest in the money making business side of things. Best of luck though!

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
+1 on the peacocks and haps idea, every one of my local LFS has a breeding tank of haps for the extra money. If the scale isn't too large I don't see it being much different then maintaining some extra tanks.

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

tavydown

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2012
boston
That's what we were thinking of, mostly peacocks haps and frontosa, I like the different front breeds and he likes the peacocks and haps. It wouldn't be massive probably around 10 tanks 7-8 for species and 2-3 for fry. I can do the plumbing for a drip system too so wc's wouldn't be an issue only vacuuming feeding and stripping babies. I would probably end up running the tanks on a air pump too so I can be a little efficient. Anyone do this have set ups or pictures ?

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
That's what we were thinking of, mostly peacocks haps and frontosa, I like the different front breeds and he likes the peacocks and haps. It wouldn't be massive probably around 10 tanks 7-8 for species and 2-3 for fry. I can do the plumbing for a drip system too so wc's wouldn't be an issue only vacuuming feeding and stripping babies. I would probably end up running the tanks on a air pump too so I can be a little efficient. Anyone do this have set ups or pictures ?

Sounds like fun. When you mentioned commercial building I thought you meant a big warehouse type operation. That is what this guy did hear in albany.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
The question is: Who are your customers going to be?

As someone with a ~50 tank fishroom, I can't imagine trying to turn it into a money-making endeavor. Not only would it suck the joy out of fishkeeping, you'll find that raising enough fry (and fast enough) will require a substantial amount of space, effort and time (not just 2-3 tanks).

There are a fair number of fish clubs in the Boston area...where fish in monthly club mini-auctions and annual larger auctions go for a fraction of retail. And there are fewer and fewer LFS...and fewer and fewer of those will buy (or give credit) to hobbyist breeders.

My advice: keep fish that you enjoy and don't turn it into a job!

Matt

twilight zone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2011
somewhere in the zone
Marketing the fishes will be the hardest. It is easy to bred if you have the time and space. You have to sell enough to pay for the obvious expenses involved and enough for spending all the time taking care of the live fishes. That includes the vacationless life that's required for that type of business. You would not be able to make enough to have anyone working for you to trust them with the entire livestock. I think that is why it is called a hobby for us unless you are a farm or in a second world country where labor is almost free along with everything else. Good Luck.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
My advice: keep fish that you enjoy and don't turn it into a job!

Matt
+1. I have a buddy that turns nearly all his hobbies into business ventures, and he always end up getting burnt out just after a few years.

There's actually a guy in Tewksbury, MA that has a real nice, extensive set up in his basement and he sells his Africans through the classfies. The money he produces is just for going back to support the hobby

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store