Why can't tigers be bred ?

topdog78

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
united kingdom
Just thought I'd spark a bit of intelligent discussion!

Virtually every aquarium fish can be artificially bred, I.e eggs are extracted from the female and sperm/milt taken from a male and cultured into fry, so why on earth has this not been done with datnoids ?!?
Considering they are such a sought after and (at larger sizes) a very expensive fish you would of thought somebody would of achieved it by now !

Discuss....

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
A start would be being able to tell the sexes apart and learning the right conditions for breeding..It's hard to believe someone somewhere is not getting it accomplished.

rayluc

Candiru
MFK Member
May 25, 2005
mfk
with all the indo dats that are always available now, i bet they are being commercially bred

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
Indo's are Absolutely being bred in captivity. I don't believe there is enough concern to breed ST's. They eat them, why would they care to breed them?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
So they can have more to eat after they've fished for and eaten the last one in the lake?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Go for it man.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Indo's are Absolutely being bred in captivity. I don't believe there is enough concern to breed ST's. They eat them, why would they care to breed them?

They are not being bred

When ST was available you used to see tanks full of 1" for sale that didn't mean they was being captive

Indo have a much larger fish location than ST ever had

It will take a good 20 years of over fishing IT before it has a big impact on the wild population like it has had on ST

Just because you see loads for sale doesn't mean they are captive bred
In fact it's a bad thing we see so many for sale as it shows the impact it's having

I find it very sad we see so many for sale
Out of the thousands we see buying on this forum alone I wonder how many make it to adult size

Take a look at ST thousands was sold less than 10 years ago how many do we see now just a handful

Arowana1

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2008
California Motherlode Area
That is a worthy idea though. It would be great to watch South East Asian countries start to breed or farm Datnoids.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store