Tankmate suggestions...eels, bichir, etc....

Lynsey

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2011
San Diego
So I have an outdoor above ground heated pond. It is ~ 8'l x 2'w x 2.5'h (about 250 US gal). I have lots of filtration and a uv sterilizer. I heat it to around 75-76F in the winter and it gets to mid 80's in the summer. I am currently putting in a few babies to see what grows up best together. I know some might have to be moved later. Does anyone have a suggestions of an oddball fish that might fit in? I was thinking a bichir, eel, ropefish, or flagtail prochilodus. Any suggestion of what kind would be great. One thing is, my pond is not covered so from the top of the water to the edge of the pond is only maybe 3". I don't want something that will jump out if I can help it. I realize that can happen with any fish, just some more then others.

Current inhabitants:
Red tail Giant Gourami 4"
Green terror 3"
Texas 3"
2 x Blood Parrot 2.5" each
Lima Shovelnose 4"
Royal Pleco 5"

Or should I leave well enough alone at the moment??

Thanks

Skittle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2012
PA
The eels, ropefish, and bichirs will all likely get out. If it was me id probly do a bgk, its an oddball, but not sure how itd do with your current stock

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Red Fred

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Henry IL
Eels are notorious escapers. Ropefish as I understand it can be aggressive.
i had a green terror that killed any and all. My guess is that with what you have and the sizes they can get you don't want to overstock or put something in that'll eat the rest... Do research on what's compatible with each of your respective fish along with aquarium size requirements. And to finish I would like to say how much most of the members would love to see pics of this pond. Especially your royal Pleco ��

Monstrous

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2013
Singapore
You could try adding red severums in that too, or eartheaters. A doradid: Niger, irwini or graulated catfish would be good too in scavenging for uneaten food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store