Keeping stingray help including tankmates!

TheNewbie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2013
UK
Hey guys, greetings from the UK

I am looking at keeping a stingray, have heard that motoro stingrays are best for a beginner, any truth in that?

I am looking at getting 8x3x3 tank with at least 5x2x2 or even 6x2x2 sump underneath. Any good?

So I'm trying to find information on tankmates, I have been looking at the following:

1 x arrowana
1 x datnoid
possibly a birchir, though have heard they can stress a ray out?

are there any catfish suitable for stingrays? I love catfiish :p

This isn't a rash decision and will be done slowly over the next 18 months (be ordering the tank in 7 months and hopefully have it setup and cycling in 12 months

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
Yes motoros are a good choice as they are a hardy ray. Others could work as well but motoros are a good place to start. Tank size sounds good. Females can get very large so keep that in mind. Some people have luck keeping tig catfish with their rays. Just make sure they are size compatible. Dats and aros can also work. Some people also keep bichers but I would avoid them as they are a potential issue. Best of luck.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Arrow fine but just be careful with Silvers they can be tricky toward rays when the ray is smaller. Dats fine and appear to be at any size. I have dats ranging from 1.5" to 6" with larger than 12" disc rays, all get along fine. (i moved on my silver arrow as it wanted to eat so much food!!) I have kept 10" plus birchirs with my rays with no issues (touch wood) they all feed together fine. I did have 5 of them but reduced to 2 for a better balanced tank, 5 just looked too many. Not an expert on cats but personally i keep a2 synos just for cleaning up at night plus 2 larger clown loach. Tinfoil barbs a re a great addition as they shoal together and look cool, i keep 9 in my tank.

TheNewbie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2013
UK
So I'm thinking

1 x arowana
1 x giant gourami
1 x pacu
1 x datnoid
10 x tinfoil barbs
1 motoro stingray
1 tiger catfish

Would that be too many? I was thinking of 3 or 5 Royal plecos in there too, however after hearing stories of plecos destroying rays slime coating and killing them I'm unsure

Latrelle

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2012
Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta, Canada
Tiger cats and pacus take up a lot space and eat a lot of food=waste. You could easily have a shoal of silver dollars with a few nice dats a couple bichers and a couple rays. Plecos well... All depends on the plecos. Some don't bother the rays but most will at some point. Definitely throw an aro in the mix... Except a jardini unless you have somewhere else to put it if/when it turns killer.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

snake8myelbo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2008
ut
Instead of tiger catfish get a couple megaladoris uranascopis or giant talking catfish. No Pacu. Get a group of redhook silver dollars. Also you should have a quarantine tank for New Fish. I would also recommend buying a captive bred Motoro to eliminate parasites and troubles feeding.

Sent from my C6606 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store