abdominal dissection of a 16" Potamotrygon Leopoldi

sam buckle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
cornwall
Just thought i would share some Photos and details of the Black Diamond that i lost.
Never know when this info might help out in the future or when other people suffer similar occurrences.

Species: Potamtrygon Leopoldi
sex:male (fully mature)
size:16" diameter
tank size: 8ft by 30 " by 2ft
temperature: 28
ph: 6
NH3: 0
NO2-: 0
NO3-: less than 20ppm
diet: shrimp(raw and cooked), pollock, massivore pellets. But predominantly shrimp.

Notes/observations: never been a great feeder or calm ray, always climbing the walls of the tank, never settled. Would go off food for no reason. for the last 6 months has been trying to breed with two marble motoro females who are only just maturing. ! day prior to its death one of the females took two bites out the ray which are noticeable in the pictures.

Ray went from swimming and feeding to death curl then death in less than 12 hours, Which suggested an organ failure or injury rather than a pathogen/parasite as environmental causes could be ruled out as conditions perfect and most recent water change more than 48 hrs earlier and no other rays or fish displaying symptoms.

The red marks/inflammation on the underside of the ray was post mortem. Autopsy carried out less than 12 hours after death.
Also their where no puncture wounds from the females spine.

My first thought was an intestinal problem as the rays belly was distended. upon carefully opening the ray, after having removed the two spines (as they are still poisonous after death!), it soon became clear that the liver was larger than normal (i have performed autopsies on numerous large koi before, this being my 6th ray). The rest of the organs appeared healthy, there was normal digested intestinal contents and the paired testes appeared normal also.
Upon further research the hepatosomatic relation (HSR%) was calculated by the expression: liver weight (g)/body weight (g) x 100 the resulting figure of 5.5 was high in comparison to figures of wild stingrays which averaged between the rainy season and dry season of between 1.5 and 3.5.

Obviously none of this conclusively proves the cause of death it is however likely that the enlarged liver resulted in the death after the stress/injury/damage caused by the two bite marks from the female ray and subsequently meaning the male rays hepatic system could not cope.

Hope this proves helpful to someone at some point.
ray_autopsy_001.jpgray_autopsy_002.jpgray_autopsy_003.jpgray_autopsy_004.jpgray_autopsy_005.jpgray_autopsy_006.jpgray_autopsy_007.jpg

ray_autopsy_001.jpg

ray_autopsy_002.jpg

ray_autopsy_003.jpg

ray_autopsy_004.jpg

ray_autopsy_005.jpg

ray_autopsy_006.jpg

ray_autopsy_007.jpg

ray_autopsy_004.jpg

sam buckle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
cornwall
are all 6 stingrays yours that have died and you have cut up? if so id stop looking inside the rays and maybe look at something your not doing right maybe?
No! Not mine (1 was) I worked in the fish trade for 20 years and used to perform dissections and disease diagnosis and sometimes surgery on fish for customers, primarily extremely expensive show winning Koi, but often on other fish. In the nineties the company I worked for used to advise the royal college if veterinary medicine in London on fish health.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Interesting thanks for sharing.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
Can't really help in anyway but do have a question. Is this the normal color of the liver? It does appear to be large compared to the cavity in which is in but again I wouldn't know if that is normal either.

Sorry for the loss!

sam buckle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
cornwall
Can't really help in anyway but do have a question. Is this the normal color of the liver? It does appear to be large compared to the cavity in which is in but again I wouldn't know if that is normal either.

Sorry for the loss!
Liver was slightly paler than normal and I have never seen flecks of bile throughout the liver before (but it is produced there so could be normal) but it was definitely larger than it should be, especially considering the ray wasn't particularly thick in the disc.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Reedmaster16

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2005
Ohio
Thanks so much for such great documentation Sam.
Again, sorry for the loss.

So would you conclude the most likely cause of the enlarged liver would be diet? I have no experience with this in animals for that matter but off the top of my head I think the root cause for people is normally obesity or alcohol consumption.

From his feeding habits description it does not sound like he was overweight. Maybe Zookeeper or someone could chime in on if the cooked shrimp could have been a contributing factor? Some type of nutrient deficiency leading to it...

Possibly a hereditary thing with this particular ray? Was he wild caught or captive?

I am just grasping at straws here as this is something I would love to know more about so we can prevent it from happening.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Could this be an example of the notorious "fatty liver disease" ???

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
Could this be an example of the notorious "fatty liver disease" ???
I wouldn't think so, I see no signs of fat around the liver or from what I can see in and around the organs in the cavity. My understanding from at least a human perspective is some humans carry fat around and attached to there organs and not necessarily under their skin/flesh tissue. Making them look bloated/large in the abdominal region but yet appear skinny/thin on the rest of their body. That is of course if it would work the same way with animals and fish/rays.

If the liver is truely the reason of the death, is truely enlarged and knowing the funtion of the liver is to work as a filter I would assume
it could be damaged from filtering something long term that wasn't good for it. All hypothetical of course and we may never know.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I wouldn't think so, I see no signs of fat around the liver or from what I can see in and around the cavity. My understanding from at least a human perspective is some humans carry fat around and attached to there organs and not necessarily under their skin/flesh tissue. Making them look bloated/large in the abdominal region but yet appear skinny/thin on the rest of their body.
Thank you sir.....

I didn't know if "fatty" referred to the size of the liver (being enlarged) or actual fatty tissue.......

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store