75g Help~

Ninjouzata

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
Georgia, USA
Perhaps I will get more responses in here. Here was the other thread: http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?563775-75g-Stocking-Suggestions

I'm not sure if I didn't get many responses because the title mainly refers to stocking, or what, but really I need help in every aspect.

I feel sort of bad putting this up, as it's an imaginary tank. Sort of.
I'm asking for this for my Christmas present, and very excited so I'd really love to start figuring out the stocking if I do get it.

Even if I don't get it for Christmas, this will still definitely be a future tank plan, so any information given to me is not going to waste!

I imagine it'd be a standard 75g, which If I'm not mistaken, is 48x18x20 LxWxH, right? I just want to make sure as I know usually it's the dimensions that matter, not just the volume of water.

I already have an idea of the fish that I want, but I'm not sure if they can all go together, or if they are even suitable for this size tank.

Brown Ghost Knife (Apteronotus Leptorhynchus)
Armored Bichir (Polypterus Delhezi)
Leopard Bushfish (Ctenopoma acutirostre)
African Butterfly Fish (Pantodon buchholzi)
Striped Raphael Catfish (Platydoras Armatulus)

If a different bichir would work, like the senegal, that'd be fine too..but I imagine it gets too big for this size tank? The only reason I say that one is it's cheaper, from what I've seen.

Also wondering if the delhezi would actually be too large for this tank. Are there any smaller ones?

I'd also be happy if an Angelfish could work with them, but from reading around it sounds like that is a no. Or maybe I'd need to get a bigger angel, after reading a thread where a bichir bit a small ones dorsal fin?

Imagine I'd just want one knife, but not sure on the other fish.

I've found that bichirs like company, so they can pile on top of each other.
Not sure how many I should have for this tank. I know if I were to get 3 I'd want Delhezi, Palmas Palmas, and Palmas Buettikoferi.

How do bichirs react to more of them being added later on, as imagine the last two would be harder for me to get, and more expensive, so would need to wait a while. If I could even do all 3, that is.

What are some good schooling fish to go with these guys, if any?

Another issue I'm thinking of is their environmental needs.

It seems that the knife would prefer a higher current, while the ctenopoma, butterfly, and raphael would like very little flow.
I'm having trouble finding what the bichir would prefer, but I'm guessing low.

Could I achieve pleasing both parties by having a moderate flow, and one side of the tank with lots of floating plants to create a still area? Or would that end up restricting the fish to each side of the tank, and result in having less room to move around?

It would most definitely have sand substrate. I'd love to hear suggestions on what color/brand, as if a bichir would work it seems you want to get a certain one to bring out their best colors.

Would also appreciate suggestions on filter(s) for this, as they're larger fish (for me anyway) and so make a large mess.
I'm guessing I'd need a canister? Can someone explain how these work? I think there is drilled & undrilled, and I'd rather go with undrilled. Would I need to/be able to put more than one canister?

I'd also love to hear about anyones experiences with these fish, as well as food recommendations. What type of food, how much, how often, etc.

And lastly..I'd like to know what you all think of if I'm ready to care for these sorts of fish.

My current tanks:
55g - 1 Golden Gourami, 1 Albino Longfin Bristlenose Pleco, 11 Rummynose Tetras, 7 Albino Cories, 7 Khuli Loaches
20g Long - Crowntail Betta {Discord}, ~10 Corydoras Habrosus
20g Flatback Hex - 9 Pseudomugil Gertrudae, 9 Neon Tetras, 2 (1M:1F) Peacock Gudgeons

I've only been keeping fish since May of this year.

I've tried my best to look up the compatibility for the fish but still would rather hear from others, as the information I was looking at could've been wrong or outdated.

(?) Means that I've seen some cases of it not working/really not sure
Y = Yes, N = No, although didn't have any N's.. This is at least as far as compatibility goes, from what I had found. I'm still really not sure what to do about them preferring different flow rates.

Knife x Ctenopoma = Y
Knife x Bichir = Y
Knife x ABF = Y
Knife x Raphael = Y
Knife x Angel = Y

Ctenopoma x Bichir = Y
Ctenopoma x ABF = Y
Ctenopoma x Raphael = Y
Ctenopoma x Angel = Y

Bichir x ABF = Y(?)
Bichir x Raphael = Y
Bichir x Angel = Y(?)

ABF x Raphael = Y
ABF x Angel = Y(?)

Raphael x Angel = Y

I've measured the area where I want the tank to go, and it could actually fit a 5x2x2, so if you are feeling generous and want to tell me the same information I'm looking for except for that size tank, that'd be nice.
I mainly want the info for the 75g though, as I'm not sure if I'd be allowed the 5x2x2.

Thank you very much for any responses, I look forward to reading them!

BichirAddict

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 13, 2007
Virginia
I can honestly say I have housed almost all those fish together at one point in time except for the African Butterfly Fish without any problems towards each other then the Bushfish can tend to be alittle aggressive at times just an fyi.
If its in the budget I'd personally stick with an Fx5 it's more than enough filtration and, can be found for somewhat cheap plus no drilling.
I personally use 2 Cascade 1000's but, I'm looking to switch over to a fx5 soon.

The delhezi and, most upper jaw bichir species should be fine in a 75 Gallon aside from a weeksii and, Ornate.
As for adding them later on should be no problem I'm always adding more. Looking at getting 3 more polys this weekend :naughty:
I personally have 6 bichir in my 75 gallon at the moment along with other fish but, most are growouts for my 180 gallon.
Feeding them a mix of pellets, market shrimp, and tilapia they get feed once every day or 2. Water Changes are weekly 50%

I currently am using Este's Black Sand it's safe for fresh and saltwater.
You'll soon learn bichirs are super addictive. :naughty:

Ninjouzata

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
Georgia, USA
I can honestly say I have housed almost all those fish together at one point in time except for the African Butterfly Fish without any problems towards each other then the Bushfish can tend to be alittle aggressive at times just an fyi.
If its in the budget I'd personally stick with an Fx5 it's more than enough filtration and, can be found for somewhat cheap plus no drilling.
I personally use 2 Cascade 1000's but, I'm looking to switch over to a fx5 soon.

The delhezi and, most upper jaw bichir species should be fine in a 75 Gallon aside from a weeksii and, Ornate.
As for adding them later on should be no problem I'm always adding more. Looking at getting 3 more polys this weekend :naughty:
I personally have 6 bichir in my 75 gallon at the moment along with other fish but, most are growouts for my 180 gallon.
Feeding them a mix of pellets, market shrimp, and tilapia they get feed once every day or 2. Water Changes are weekly 50%

I currently am using Este's Black Sand it's safe for fresh and saltwater.
You'll soon learn bichirs are super addictive. :naughty:
I'm very glad to hear that! When the bushfish gets aggressive, what sort of damage does he end up doing? I don't think I could stay mad at that adorable face.

How much is the Fx5? I'm googling around now but you may well respond before I actually find it..I'm awful at searching.
Are your Cascades the Penn Plax Cascade, or is that something different? Asking because they seem to have decent prices..but imagine I'd need two, same as you?

Glad to hear they should be alright in the 75. Another member had said that but I forgot to take it out of my question list, oopsie :c
Oh silly me! I should've known it's okay from all the lurking in the bichir threads. What polys are you getting this weekend? How exciting~

Any chance of a picture? Would like to see all 6 in there before they get moved. Sounds snuggly :D

What brand of pellets do you use? 50% sounds doable to me.
How does the plain black sand affect their coloration? I've seen some instances where people mention mixing two colors, not sure if that makes them look better or not.

I havn't even got one yet and I keep dreaming about them every night! XD

Thank you so very much for responding by the way~

*Edit* 400$?! :nilly:
Actually that doesn't surprise me, but it's still scary.

BichirAddict

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 13, 2007
Virginia
I'm very glad to hear that! When the bushfish gets aggressive, what sort of damage does he end up doing? I don't think I could stay mad at that adorable face.

How much is the Fx5? I'm googling around now but you may well respond before I actually find it..I'm awful at searching.
Are your Cascades the Penn Plax Cascade, or is that something different? Asking because they seem to have decent prices..but imagine I'd need two, same as you?

Glad to hear they should be alright in the 75. Another member had said that but I forgot to take it out of my question list, oopsie :c
Oh silly me! I should've known it's okay from all the lurking in the bichir threads. What polys are you getting this weekend? How exciting~

Any chance of a picture? Would like to see all 6 in there before they get moved. Sounds snuggly :D

What brand of pellets do you use? 50% sounds doable to me.
How does the plain black sand affect their coloration? I've seen some instances where people mention mixing two colors, not sure if that makes them look better or not.

I havn't even got one yet and I keep dreaming about them every night! XD

Thank you so very much for responding by the way~

*Edit* 400$?! :nilly:
Actually that doesn't surprise me, but it's still scary.
If the deal doesn't fall throught I'll be getting a Endlicheri "Tikinso", Ansorgii, and another delhezi.
I use New Life Spectrum Sinking Pellets. FX5 can be found locally usually for around $200 or so.
The sand makes them quite dark but, the greens in them really pop.

DSCN4380.JPG
View attachment 971653
View attachment 971654
View attachment 971655

DSCN4380.JPG

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
You'll be okay, a canister like the fx5 will do great for that amount of fish and as long as none of the fish are large enough to eat another you'll be fine!

I would drop the butterfly fish though, they don't get big enough to be kept long term with the others. When my friend tried a butterfly when he was growing out an endli it nipped all of its streamers off (the long barbel like fins on bottom) and I ended up putting it in my 30 gallon, then in my 10 gallon for a few weeks while a new bigger bichir was quarantined (it would have eaten it, or at least tried)

Unfortunately, my cat got locked in my room and it loves messing with the fish.. not the big ones but the ten gallon, butterfly's are also very jumpy so it jumped right out and my cat ate half of it and left its head. The type of fish your going to be keeping in the 75 aren't like the ones your used to, they nip at each other and occasionally fight (they may not, depends on the certain attitude of your fish), so don't put anything too delicate in with them.

If you haven't looked into them, Ropefish are closely related to bichirs and are the sole surviving member of their genus (as far as we know yet). If you plan on getting a bigger tank for them, you can go with the bigger bichirs like ornates, lower jaws (endlicheri, lapreidi, etc) just make sure you anticipate growth correctly

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Ninjouzata

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
Georgia, USA
OoOo, I hope it doesn't fall through! There are so many different ones I'm going to have to learn about. Bit intimidating D:
200$ Sounds much better, I do hope I can find a deal like that around here. I'm glad to hear they like NLS! I like using that brand :)

:hearts:I absolutely adore the green! I've been trying to figure out which ones are more green than the others.
Love the driftwood in that tank in your other thread, btw.

What kind of flow do bichirs like?

Ninjouzata

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
Georgia, USA
You'll be okay, a canister like the fx5 will do great for that amount of fish and as long as none of the fish are large enough to eat another you'll be fine!

I would drop the butterfly fish though, they don't get big enough to be kept long term with the others. When my friend tried a butterfly when he was growing out an endli it nipped all of its streamers off (the long barbel like fins on bottom) and I ended up putting it in my 30 gallon, then in my 10 gallon for a few weeks while a new bigger bichir was quarantined (it would have eaten it, or at least tried)

Unfortunately, my cat got locked in my room and it loves messing with the fish.. not the big ones but the ten gallon, butterfly's are also very jumpy so it jumped right out and my cat ate half of it and left its head. The type of fish your going to be keeping in the 75 aren't like the ones your used to, they nip at each other and occasionally fight (they may not, depends on the certain attitude of your fish), so don't put anything too delicate in with them.

If you haven't looked into them, Ropefish are closely related to bichirs and are the sole surviving member of their genus (as far as we know yet). If you plan on getting a bigger tank for them, you can go with the bigger bichirs like ornates, lower jaws (endlicheri, lapreidi, etc) just make sure you anticipate growth correctly

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Would the fx5 still be okay if I added schooling fish, or should I not even bother with any?

Doesn't the butterfly get 6", just like the ctenopoma? I will leave it out I suppose but.. :(
Really sorry to hear your cat got it!
I imagine they're going to be totally different to me as far as behavior & aggression. I hope I'm ready for it..

Is the ropefish a suggestion of replacing the bichir with or an additional tankmate?
I'd love a bigger tank for them eventually but I am not 100% sure if I'll be able to when I need to. I really hope I can get a 5x2x2 but don't imagine it's going to be easy to find at a good price around here.

Thank you again btw :)

BichirAddict

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 13, 2007
Virginia
They are usually towards the bottom level of the tank so moderate flow would do fine. Other might have more input.
The 2 Penn Plex Cascades are all I have on my they don't seem bothered then again the spray bars don't create much current past the half way point of the tank.
If the 5x2x2 is possible I'd hold out you'll be glad you did. So many more options open up.

Ninjouzata

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
Georgia, USA
They are usually towards the bottom level of the tank so moderate flow would do fine. Other might have more input.
The 2 Penn Plex Cascades are all I have on my they don't seem bothered then again the spray bars don't create much current past the half way point of the tank.
If the 5x2x2 is possible I'd hold out you'll be glad you did. So many more options open up.
Hrrm, okie. :D

I'd def like to hold out for that, but I'm just not sure what my dad is going to let me do.

See there is one of those put together closets in the room I am in most of the time. I'd like to move it & put the tank there. I already knew a 75g would fit but last night decided to measure and found that I could do a 5x2x2.
I asked my dad about it and he seems to be pretty iffy on moving the closet, so if that doesn't happen then no 5x2x2 & the 75g would need to be somewhere else. :(

He has informed that we likely won't get a tank for Christmas, since he can't get it in the car. But said we can look around on craigslist after christmas. I'd hope we could borrow his friend's truck or my fiance's friend's truck if we can find a suitable tank. I do wonder if he's being iffy towards me to try and make me be like Oh okay, no tank for christmas, and then going to surprise me. -Shrug- Ramble ramble ramble.. :p

Oh, care to tell me more about the dorsal fins? (I think that's what they are?) It seems like in some pictures they're laying down and in others they're up. When they're up, are they flaring?

BichirAddict

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 13, 2007
Virginia
Hrrm, okie. :D

I'd def like to hold out for that, but I'm just not sure what my dad is going to let me do.

See there is one of those put together closets in the room I am in most of the time. I'd like to move it & put the tank there. I already knew a 75g would fit but last night decided to measure and found that I could do a 5x2x2.
I asked my dad about it and he seems to be pretty iffy on moving the closet, so if that doesn't happen then no 5x2x2 & the 75g would need to be somewhere else. :(

He has informed that we likely won't get a tank for Christmas, since he can't get it in the car. But said we can look around on craigslist after christmas. I'd hope we could borrow his friend's truck or my fiance's friend's truck if we can find a suitable tank. I do wonder if he's being iffy towards me to try and make me be like Oh okay, no tank for christmas, and then going to surprise me. -Shrug- Ramble ramble ramble.. :p

Oh, care to tell me more about the dorsal fins? (I think that's what they are?) It seems like in some pictures they're laying down and in others they're up. When they're up, are they flaring?
I know the feeling I annoyed my parents for my a bigger tank for a good 6 months then I came up with $1300 and, they caved now I own my 180 Gallon.
I still don't have an answer for the dorsal fins question.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store