Sinking Frozen Shrimp for Stingray

Timk1599

Feeder Fish
Dec 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
Hello,

First time posting.

I just bought a 10" motoro stingray from another tank owner. I put his tank conditions in my profile, but the short of it is : 200 gallon with sump, sand substrate, ph 7, 79 degrees. Current tankmates till I sell them off. 4 angels, 10" fire eel, 20 large danios, and a few other small fish that will become food if i dont get them out soon enough.
He readily eats frozen food. I have a bag of frozen shrimp I had bought a few months ago that I would like to feed him. I got a few pieces to the bottom and he seemed to like them, but most just seem to float on the top. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to get the shrimp to sink quickly to the bottom. Right now I soak them in a cup of tank water till they thaw, then drop them in. I have tried shaking them around in the tank. Pushing them towards the bottom with my hand. But it seems like they just keep floating back to the top where he cant get them. Does anyone have any ideas on a way to get the shrimp to sink? Also, does anyone have any ideas for a good name for him?

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Don't defrost then throw them in frozen my rays love the cold feeling

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Timk1599

Feeder Fish
Dec 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
Ok. Thanks for the suggestions. I've found that as a frozen block, I can get most of it to sink after pushing at it from the top a bit, but small shrimp still seem to break off and float to the top where they go to waste because the other fish are to small to eat them.
I put them in a cup and squeezed them. It worked. But honestly its kind of gross. I know there are sacrifices that need to be made when you have a special needs pet to be fed. But, I was wondering if anybody might have more ideas on how to get the shrimp to sink to the bottom? Thanks for the ideas.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Are you feeding the shrimp with the shell on

If you are that could be your problem

yargnits

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
Leeds, UK.
defrost them fully. if they are frozen at all they will float.
defrosted shrimp sink.

if you are having problems getting food to the bottom because its getting eaten before it gets theere then feed more !

if you are confident you are feeding enough but still cant get the food to the bottom even though your feeding plenty then you could try a pvc tube. tip the food in the tube and it goes straight to the bottom before anyone else can eat it.

good luck but it sounds like you need to feed a bit more.

Jimr

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2007
Lyme Ct.
1+^ Sounds freezer burnt. I have pounds of silversides shipped to me freezer burnt and it all floats. If I buy from LFS it always sinks. I've had older frozen shrimp do the same.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
defrost them fully. if they are frozen at all they will float.
defrosted shrimp sink.

if you are having problems getting food to the bottom because its getting eaten before it gets theere then feed more !

if you are confident you are feeding enough but still cant get the food to the bottom even though your feeding plenty then you could try a pvc tube. tip the food in the tube and it goes straight to the bottom before anyone else can eat it.

good luck but it sounds like you need to feed a bit more.
I throw my peeled frozen prawn in right out of the freezer and they sink in less the 5 seconds

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store