Rays with Catfish - Your Opinion

bcfd144

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2010
Missouri
I have been looking for something that will help with cleanup after feeding. I use to have a few fish for the job, buy over the years have either lost them to age or to momma ray deciding she wanted a snack. So I have been trying to find large enough tin foil barbs or silver dollars to do the job, but not had any luck in finding the size I need.
I decided to try out a catfish. I found a 2" RTC/Shovel Nose hybrid catfish yesterday. So far, everything is ok but he is still new.
I have always lived by the idea that a ray tank should not have catfish or sucker fish in there. I know others do it and don't have problems, but I just never wanted to do it.
But I broke down and decided to try a catfish.

My tank has 2 Motoro rays, 1 large Dat, 4 Large Clown Loaches, 1 Florida Gar and 3 P-Bass. And now this Catfish.

What do you guys who have catfish think? What have you had issues with when keeping a catfish if any?
Of if you don't keep catfish, is there a reason why you don't? (besides the fact you have never bought one)

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
I keep a Jurense and have for over two years. He is 12-13 inches. He does great with the rays. I wouldn't say he is a great cleanup fish though as he eats just like the rays. He just inhales everything. Not a messy eater.

I had a Tig in with the Jur but my large black female made a snack of it when it was 9" so I just decided to replace it with another ray. I have a single Geo survivior appx 8" and it does a fairly descent job on its own.

Only time I really have any issues with leftovers is when feeding pellets though, all frozen just gets swallowed whole.

Only issues between rays and Jur I have spotted is the rays cloak the Jur when they go into a feeding frenzy during feeding. It spooks him and he will shoot out from under them.:)

bcfd144

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2010
Missouri
ya, my rays do a good job of eating and everything in the tank eats the same stuff. But from time to time (ever since my bala shark and silver dollars are gone), I find larger pieces that might have fallen behind the driftwood were the rays can get into. Then I have a few shreds here and there. Just want something that will help clean this up. By Loaches do ok at cleaning up the shreds, but not always. Still wanting some Tin Foil Bards though. Red tail Tin Foils.

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
I pulled all my driftwood and just left a few large rocks. Just to give space and keep my large ATF and future Armatus from damaging themselves.
I know the only tin foils I see up around St. Louis area are standard Tin Foils. I do see large Silver Dollars more often on occassions.

bcfd144

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2010
Missouri
I pulled all my driftwood and just left a few large rocks. Just to give space and keep my large ATF and future Armatus from damaging themselves.
I know the only tin foils I see up around St. Louis area are standard Tin Foils. I do see large Silver Dollars more often on occassions.
Ya, not down here in Springfield. Cant find anyone around that has any large enough.

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
The tig/rt will be fine but no clean up crew. I have a couple big aluminum cats that do what you are looking for. Also my altifrons are vaccums but not really crevice seekers.

The aluminum cats are Chrysichthys nigrodigitatus

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
IF I feed enough that there's leftovers the Irwinni clean up after lights out. Nothing gets past them, they're decent sized, and hungry, but usually won't come out with all the lights on. And my rays haven't eaten any yet. Also have small ones in the grow out tanks. The little guys do a great job too, and come out whenever there's food.

Rapheals work, but not as well as the Irwinnis in my opinion.

Tried some Pictus but they were killed.

Have some Eclipse/Wood cats in there too and they seem ok for now lol.

Also have a chunk of Niger driftwood, but he just sits there and waits for pellets.

yargnits

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
Leeds, UK.
the rtc grow to 4 foot.

i think rtc are great fish but housing them long term is difficult and they dont really clean up as much as hoover up antying that is smaller than their head ( and somtimes bigger if it folds a bit ).

i dont think they will clean up well but instead make more mess eating large foods rather thank picking up the small leftovers so as a clean up crew i doubt it would work.

as a fish i think they are great but you need loads of room ofc.

bcfd144

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2010
Missouri
Well his size wont be a problem. We have a large enough tank right now and in the process of building a indoor pond, so not so worried about that.
Well, as I said before , Im still looking for large enough tin foil barbs to use for a clean up crew. Hoping at least this RTC/SN hybrid helps get the bigger pieces the rays wont/don't eat. All my other fish will not eat off the bottom except the gar, so whatever hits the bottom, the rays need to eat or hoping the catfish does as well.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I have had my Tigrinus cat with my rays for over 7 years now with no problems

Yes my big rays jump the cat from time to time but no real damage

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store