Gar feeding quiz!!

bryan.u159

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2013
United States
Hello laymen I have some questions regarding gar feeding #1.)how long will my gar live if I only feed it goldfish? #2.) If I want to feed it something else what would I need to start with and how? And #3.) Is it possible that my gar will never eat anything else but goldfish? Because its used to it?

Thank u for helping me out

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Siddons11

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
USA
1. It will live as long as none of the goldfish give it a disease and as long as you maintain the aquarium. Qt the goldfish and feed them a lot before you put them in with the gar. But getting the gar off of live will be a much better option.
2. Starving the gar will be the best way. Eventually it will bite anything that hits the water. Start with frozen silversides then convert to shrimp and eventually floating pellets. You can try tying the silversides and shrimp to fishing line so it looks alive.
3. Its possible but not very likely. Goodluck.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mrwinkle

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2009
South Georgia
1) A very long time but why would you want to do/know that.
2) fish fillets cut to size to fit in mouth.
3)No, it can be trained to take a variety of things

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
1. It will live around the same time as any other gar you just have more risk for disease.

2. There are lots of ways to get fish off live food. Having other fish in the tank that eat prepared foods seems to work best for most people. It will have a "monkey see monkey do" type of situation. I got my gar off live and onto tilapia fillets by cutting a fishing hook straight and pretty short and putting the talapia fillet onto it and "fishing" for the gar. Once it bit i jerked the string and the straight metal "hook" pops out and then it consumed it. This eventually just leads to them eating on there own.

3. Depends on the size but I would most likely say no. I am sure at any size you should be able to get it off live.

How big is it? what size tank?

bryan.u159

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2013
United States
1. It will live around the same time as any other gar you just have more risk for disease.

2. There are lots of ways to get fish off live food. Having other fish in the tank that eat prepared foods seems to work best for most people. It will have a "monkey see monkey do" type of situation. I got my gar off live and onto tilapia fillets by cutting a fishing hook straight and pretty short and putting the talapia fillet onto it and "fishing" for the gar. Once it bit i jerked the string and the straight metal "hook" pops out and then it consumed it. This eventually just leads to them eating on there own.

3. Depends on the size but I would most likely say no. I am sure at any size you should be able to get it off live.

How big is it? what size tank?
He is about 11 inches and in a 55 gallon im getting an upgrade soon but that you so much guys! U helped me a lot

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
It really depends on what kind of "gar" it is. All of the above is based on true gars.
If you have one of the "gar" that isn't really a gar, then the answers you got will change.

bryan.u159

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2013
United States
It really depends on what kind of "gar" it is. All of the above is based on true gars.
If you have one of the "gar" that isn't really a gar, then the answers you got will change.
What makes a "true gar"?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store