Post Pics/Info Of Your Filtration!

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Hey Everyone,

I know I know, "What another thread on filtration!" it's defiantly gotta be annoying must be just me you just feel like you could never over filter a tank. Look at me I have an fx5 hooked up to a 40 gallon breeder right now lmao. I do feel especially in the stingray forums that there are and will always be questions about filtration for heavy bioloads that rays provide.
I was thinking of using this thread for members especially experienced members provide there filtration systems of coarse hopefully all filtration systems shown have made the water chemistry in the tank great!

Some specs that would defiantly help out future ray owners as the hobby grows about your set up include:

Size of the tank:
Filtration (Sump, Canister, Hang on, UV Sterilizer or mix)
What media used
Water Change Schedule
Have rays bred in this system

Any other input would be great especially pics....we all love pics! I just got the idea from the sticky in the setup and filtration subtopic however I felt that it would be better to see filtration systems basically designed to withstand the heavy stock.

Thanks A Million for any info given

condejesuit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2011
Canada
I have a 220 gallon tank currently filtered by a FX6, 2 Rena XP4's and an Aqueon Model 4 sump. Overkill is not an option with filtration.

Cheers

Raymann88

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2011
Canada
I have 5 tanks (2-400, 300, 240, 180) and 1 pup tank all filtered by FX5 filters with biomax rings in all 3 baskets and the sponges that come with the FX5. 3 tanks are on drips and other 2 get 25% water changes every second day. My rule of thumb is 1 FX5 for each juvenile / adult ray or large fish like arowanas. I currently have 13 FX5's running.

I find they are great for controlling humidity as the filters are enclosed and all my tanks have snug fitting glass lids. I have a battery backup system that will run my filters for 4+ hours if the power goes put. One of the other pluses of FX5's - only 48watts each to run.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Mine is a work in progress and only on one of the tanks. The other is in construction. I have a 100 gal stock tank with 100 liters of K1 in it. It has gobs of spnge filters / air stones plus 3 small pond pumps moving the media. I plan to add another 50 liters of K1. Two 4300GPH laguna pond pumps for returns. Water is mechanically filtered with 200 micron socks. Currently it is only on the 240. My 700 is still being built and will run on it as well. I will add UV at that point. Here is a picture of the return manifold I built.
uploadfromtaptalk1387767231956.jpg

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
All your filtration specs look great. Thats a lot of fx5's lol @raymann Im still developing my plans for filtration when I get it all together I will post mine.

litigator666

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
clayfield, qld australia
Im running 2x eheim 2180 and 1x eheim 2080 complete with eheim media. Have 2x 2080 as back up filter. Tank is 8ftr only. Better watt usage as an fx5 but dearer pricewise.

Im not working or sponsored by eheim so this is a cost to me. Only have one pair of ray, id shark and some rare synodontis as cleaners.

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Im trying to keep away from canisters I used to like them but when I had my sump on my 72 gallon I became hooked because of the ease of maintenance as well as you can do a variety of customizations. Im currently trying to plan out the setup of my sump trying to figure out which is best for wet/dry...pond matrix or pot scrubbies. The math says to go with matrix but everyone else is using pot scrubbies I might just used both.

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Heres a little sketch lol will try to have a filtration system somewhat like this. Still trying to figure out what else to put in the empty space maybe I can try to see if a moving bed filter will work other wise will throw in more pond matrix or some how add more mechanical filtration.

This app won't let me write as I was gonna write out what each drawing was lol.

Basically starts of with the drain tubes/pipes leadeng into the storage containers. There will be two holes for two filter socks and the water that passs through the sock will also go through tons of filter floss. Then will go through the numerous holes that will spread water evenly over the pot scrubbies which will be tightly packed in the container. Then will evenly drain into a container of pond matrix. Which will then drain into the actual tank it self where so far I just have the heater (green thing) and the return pump. The line of the return pump will be attached to a uv sterilizer and then into the tank.

This is just a draft lol as I will see if I can somehow incorporate other means of filtration in this 75 gallon sump.Sump.png

Sump.png

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
1000 gal
6x2x2 sump
Media eheim efimech eheim substrate pro jap mat

1 big sand filter fluid bed
4 x 25w uv

Tank turnover 17,000 gal per hour