Conditions for Breeding

moosemj

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2012
Illinois
I'm sure this has been covered before, but always looking for new info that may have been learned. Right now I have a male and female Motoro and a male marble, what do I do to make conditions favorable for breeding?

I keep them well fed, everything is growing nicely. Consistent water changes. Is there a temperature shift that is favorable or even a particular to to keep it at? I see all these posts about people with pups and it is very exciting! Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

snake8myelbo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2008
ut
Sounds like your doing everything right are all of your rays mature? Post pics.of your setup

Sent from my C6606 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

moosemj

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2012
Illinois
Here is my set up

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1387125333.958890.jpg

I'm not sure they are ready to go just yet. The female Motoro has about a 13" disc. I would imagine she is close. The two males' discs are about 9" to 10", and the marble's claspers are more developed and rolled (show off).

Not sure they are quite ready yet, but I want to make things optimal for them when they are.

Is 2 males an 1 female ok?

Water temp is at around 77.

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Should be one male and more females if not mistaken as male can get very aggressive during breeding time....

I would do a one male to 2-3 female....could get away with male and female if monitored...so I would imagine an extra male to one female should be cautioned however members who are experienced in breeding rays will chime in soon

snake8myelbo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2008
ut
Ya 2 males could kill her during breeding! Looks like they need a little more size on them!

Sent from my C6606 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
Actually multiple males can spark competition which in turn can allow breeding to happen faster. The only thing you need to watch for is if one male tries to breed then the other might try as well. This is not always the case as I have seen one male breed and the other do nothing. I have also seen one male breed and the other come back for sloppy seconds. To me I would rather run a 1 to 1 or a heavy male operation.

Raymann88

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2011
Canada
Anyone have issues with the dominant male severely beating the other male(s) or do they have a "pecking" order and little fighting occurs?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store