Big December Blue Catfish!

tbinchrist

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2011
Tennessee
My brother and I had the awesome pleasure of going fishing friday! After so long a spell of him ill, we decided that we would take the opportunity and go regardless of weather. Well, that was quite a statement.
2013-12-06 10.40.33.jpg2013-12-06 13.33.23.jpgG0050131.jpgMet a freind and company up bluegill fishing and we were catching them pretty fast. A few showers moved in and we finally split and headed downstream. It was one of those days when the regular spots held nothing and you had to hunt around.
On second anchor within minutes a little 16 lber hit. Few minutes later a rod loads up with a great 54 Lber my bro reels in!! The cold fast water made them VERY lively and the fish fought hard all day. We Bait up and throw out and a rod loads up within 30 seconds. The fish was so heavy it was hard telling what it was. at one point it was way downstream and the tail came up in sucha way I thought it was a rostrum of a paddlefish. Needless to say it was a 71 lb Oinker Blue!! The thing looked like a giant tadpole, with a skinny little tail and a big fat bubble head!! We catch one more 20 lber and decide to move.
Next couple anchors are pretty dead with the exception of a nice 22lber.
Next new anchor and a rod doubles down and unbuttons..."They are here!" a few minutes pass and down she goes again! Literally a back breaking fight in heavy current that yielded up a gorgeous 60 lb piggie! Love those winter tummies!
Soon after the weather turned so bad that we called it a day, but what a day it was!!

I know the video is 10 minutes, but I thought it was kinda funny, as there are a couple great lines in it. I hope it turned out good:)
http://youtu.be/UPmnTfSrIuk

2013-12-06 10.40.33.jpg

2013-12-06 13.33.23.jpg

G0050131.jpg

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
Nice cats! Looks gravid for sure. :)

Sent from my SCH-S738C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

flemming

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2008
netherlands
awesome!

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
Im going to be preparing the skull of a 74 lbs flathead soon. Did you keep or release this fish? Be interesting to compare the skull morphology of these two species at a large size. Fyi the flathead skull is being shipped to me for preparation from a taxidermist down south. They not native to montana and unfortunately neither are blue cats. :)

Sent from my SCH-S738C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store