Low maintenance setup questions

pmsmith2032

Feeder Fish
Dec 11, 2013
Illinois
I am planning on setting up a 55 gallon tank but have some concerns on the amount of time I need to dedicate after the initial setup. With a full-time job, two kids, and plans to take the CPA, my time is limited. How much time weekly should I plan on? Are there specific breeds that are easier/cleaner than cichlids in general? Are weekly water changes always necessary or could bi-weekly work? Any other advice/tips are appreciated.

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
If you got a python water changer you should be able to do a 50% wc in 30 minutes or less, 20 minutes of which its just draining or filling. A lighter stocking will ease the maintenance.

Dark Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2013
United States
Agreed, I do almost 50% on my 75 gallon weekly, and have an Aqueon water changer (similar to Python), takes me about 30 minutes or so, and after the initial vaccuming of poo, most of the time I just sit and watch TV while it drains, and adjust temp, start filling, pour in Prime, and continue with the TV watching for 10 mins or so until its full again.
When its time to clean the filter, that's maybe an extra 15 mins.

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
It is possible to greatly reduce the need for frequent water changes. Keeping the aquarium lightly stocked and well filtered will help keep the maintenance down. Choose a substrate that is easy to maintain (sand or bare), and possibly add plants (as discussed in this thread or using hardy, low maintenance fully aquatic plants such as java ferns and Anacharis) to help maintain water quality.

Depending on how you plan on stocking your aquarium, it is possible that a 50-75% water change every two weeks could be sufficient, without any special filtration or anything like that.

Shenanigans

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2011
Wyoming
Go overboard with filtration and you wont have to perform many water changes. You will also have less maintenance if you set it up for plants, shrimp etc, instead of predators or cichlids. avoid the fish that are notorious for producing waste, such as plecos. Also, go light on feedings. Feeding fish might be the highlight of the hobby, but too much food is only adding to bad water quality. Maintaining water quality is really the time consumer. Good filtration and minimizing the bioload is the best way to reduce your time input

Skittle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2012
PA
If i were you i would just do light stocking. Some tetras, rainbowfish, corys etc. smaller fish without a huge bioload, good filtration, and dont overfeed

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Heavy filter and a small stock you could easily get away with bi or tri weekly wcs

Mr.Manaconda

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I agree with he suggestion of "light stocking", just not with the suggestions of "what" you should be keeping. Remember, this hobby is for YOUR enjoyment. Go with the type of fish YOU LOVE, just do it in moderation. I have had tanks that were set up for "convenience" sake, but I never enjoy them as much as the ones that house something that captivates my attention. After all.... You will still have to do the maintenance anyway, it's easier when it's set up specifically to suit you. just my $.02

pmsmith2032

Feeder Fish
Dec 11, 2013
Illinois
Thanks for the great advice. I really like colorful fish with sone personality and was therefore leaning toward cichlids. Do all cichlids create a lot of waste or are some "cleaner" than others?

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
Go overboard with filtration and you wont have to perform many water changes. You will also have less maintenance if you set it up for plants, shrimp etc, instead of predators or cichlids. avoid the fish that are notorious for producing waste, such as plecos. Also, go light on feedings. Feeding fish might be the highlight of the hobby, but too much food is only adding to bad water quality. Maintaining water quality is really the time consumer. Good filtration and minimizing the bioload is the best way to reduce your time input

I agree with all except the filtration part. If you put 1 or 100 filters on a tank, you still have the same level of nitrates to deal with which is dictated by stock, feedings and water volume. Good filtration is important and can "sweep things under the rug" so to speak (out of sight, out of mind) but waste is still in the system, so nitrates will be the same no matter how much filtration you have. Water changes, by whatever means you chose, keeps them in check.

Light stocking and drip systems are by far the easiest tanks I run, but drip systems are a bit more involved to setup. Once they are though, life is a lot easier and I stock lots of big messy fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store