Growing Asians Out Together

Albertan

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2007
Alberta, CANADA
I recently lost my favourite fish, a 12" jardini. I was growing him out in a 120 and about to move him to a 8X2X2 240g growout tank when I lost him. Now I have a brand new 240g sitting around and a desire to get back into aros. I know with jardini, tankmates are sketchy at best...especially another jardini. I'd like to know if I could grow out a nice Xback and red Asian arowana in this tank from 6-8" or so. I'd probably grow out a small group of red hook or black bar SDs as well in the tank as dithers. I know I'll need a bigger tank for the aros as adults. I'm planning on something bigger than my current cichla tank if I can grow out a nice enough pair. Thanks for any advice.

Albertan

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2007
Alberta, CANADA
There is a clip in this video of a fellow with several Asians in a smaller tank then I am contemplating. The research continues...

[video=youtube;m-s2F4PZzVg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-s2F4PZzVg[/video]

azura

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2011
Aros World
just a xb and a red ... you need to separate them or get a partition in the tank if you dont want your aros get injured cause they will fight sometimes can lead to a dead aro / aros.

jechrz

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2013
Canada
just a xb and a red ... you need to separate them or get a partition in the tank if you dont want your aros get injured cause they will fight sometimes can lead to a dead aro / aros.
+1 to azura's response. To add to that, the individual fish's personality is a big factor in housing multiple arowanas in a single tank.

Albertan

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2007
Alberta, CANADA
So conspecific aggression is similar to jardinis? I recall reading somewhere that some types of Asian arowana are less aggressive than others. Unfortunately, the reds and Xbacks were worst as I recall. Looks like I may need to make a choice...

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
So conspecific aggression is similar to jardinis? I recall reading somewhere that some types of Asian arowana are less aggressive than others. Unfortunately, the reds and Xbacks were worst as I recall. Looks like I may need to make a choice...
Yes make a choice

Reds get to 3ft
Xbacks 2ft

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Albertan

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2007
Alberta, CANADA
Thanks Karmann. I've read about these fish before, but only in passing. Now that I'm really trying to research my purchase, the knowledge base is almost overwhelming. I've started another thread on this forum regarding the quality from different farms. I'd love your feedback, even if by PM. Cheers.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Your current cichla tank is awesome, something larger with a pair [group?] of asian arowana would be mind-blowing! I think two is a bad number in general for arowana unless you get very lucky and have a mated pair, and usually the best way to achieve that is to grow out a group.

Albertan

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2007
Alberta, CANADA
Still not sure how I keep coming across these tanks. I understand the numbers play a role, as well as the fact that they were probably all grown out together. The owner is in the same province as me. Perhaps we need to have a chat.

[video=youtube;uAIlsafyLvk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAIlsafyLvk&feature=player_embedded[/video]

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Plenty of "comm" tanks out there with multiple asians, IMO you want either a single one or 6+ to grow out together. I don't think there is anything exceptionally difficult about it, more just trial and error.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store