What are some of your faster and slower growing fish

bsass588

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2013
Wisconsin
I currently have 110 gallons of aquarium space at the moment; 1 55g, 1 40g, and 1 15g. My plan during holidays (Christmas break) is to build a custom 240-300gallon tank with dimensions being either 4'x4'x2' or 4'x5'x'2' respectively, turning the 40g breeder or a spare 55g that I have outside into a dry/wet sump. Like most people on here I'm interested in "monster fish" and would love for people to share info on growth rates they have experienced with their fish. At some point in my life when I own my own house (next two to 5 years hopefully I will build a large custom tank 1000+gallons)

Information on Red tailed Catfish, Arapaima Gigas, Alligator Gar, Motorua Stingray, any of Sturgeon, Wolf fish, Payara, Barracuda, South American Lungfish would be great
If you have other cool large fish, some information on those would also be great.
ANY INFO ON ELECTRIC EELS WOULD BE AWESOME I.E. WHERE TO BUY

Garshark

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2012
Ohio
u need to do some research most of those fish get way to big. get the large tank then the fish

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Shark aquarium usually has an electric eel, and yeah I'd go with some smaller monsters then the ones you've listed. Other then Freshwater Barracuda, and smaller wolf fish and payara species will do great in your tank. I wouldn't go with gator gar because they grow so fast, bichirs would be a great addition

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
I don't get it. You want people to write a book on every monster fish? Not to be mean, but do the research. If after that you have SPECIFIC questions go for it.

Also, a few of those fish (rtc, arapaima, etc) can't be kept humanely in an aquarium, even a 1000 gallon one.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
To answer the thread title Pearsei has been my fastest and Ornatum has been my slowest.

You'll need a bit larger sump for a 240-300 gallon as well. And most of the fish on your list will need a massive aquarium. I have a 300 and wouldn't even think of keeping most of the fish on your list.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

bsass588

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2013
Wisconsin
Thanks guys, the point of this was to share your experience. Also I'm not an idiot I know you can't keep those fish in a 300 gallon tank their whole life, but it can be a suitable intermediate tank. I figured i'd post a few fish names because I'm curious about peoples general opinons.

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
My fastest grower was a red belly pacu that went from 3" to a bulky 24" in about a year and a half. Slowest... Idk, I've had a lot of very slow growing species. Clown loaches, various catfish (particularly raphaels and synodontis), flagtail prochilodus, etc.

Growth rates for any particular species will vary, though. My silver arowana, for example, averaged about 1.5" per month from the time I purchased it at 3" long until it was around 20", if I remember correctly. It is currently 4 years old and about 27". Several other people on MFK have said that theirs grew anywhere from 1" to 3" per month. Just depends on genetics, feeding, and water quality.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store