C.A. Cichlid Planted tank suggestions?

Mfowlie626

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2013
U.S.
So basically I've wanted to have a planted tank for a long time but I'm mainly a cichlid person and I'm stocking my tank with a Green Terror and a Red Texas. I know cichlids usually tear plants to bits but I'm curious if anyone has ever done this successfully. If so, I would greatly appreciate some suggestions on what type of plants might work with these fish and how to aquascape this setup to "protect" the plants from the cichlids. Should I use sand or gravel? Driftwood or rocks?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Crazy mike

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2012
Vacaville,California
I'd use all four to protect my plants. I have Anubis in with my cichlids and they pretty much ignore it. My substrate is a mixture of pfs and regular gravel. Good luck

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Mfowlie626

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2013
U.S.
Ok great thanks for the info. Also. I've never kept live plants, what kind of lighting do you recommend? Or if its more beneficial could I put the tank in front of a window for natural sunlight or will that result in lots of algae growth?

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
Hrmmmm, I've never owned texas or green terrors...but I do keep plants with various other cichlids such as EBJD, thread fin acaras...I've kept geos and parrots with plants as well, rainbow cichlids, t. ellioti...its possible so long as you know your fish.

Now, given that you are new to plants, this will be intereting. What's your substrate like right now, and what size tank is this? I would suggest to you starting out with something that will be low lighting, I can tell you what that would be like once I know your tank size. Your substrate will help determine what kinds of plants would be best. I think for your sake, things that get strong roots would be wise. I'm thinking swords, lotus plants, and hardy stems like hyrgophilia species and some easier ludwigia...anubias and java fern can be attached to the hardscape, as well as mosses. And of course there are floating plants as well, but you might not bother with those if you are doing low light...maybe in medium though, we'll see.

Post a pic of your tank, and also, I'd avoid natural sunlight as its not consistent and may cause algae. I like to be in control of my lighting.

How big are your cichlids now? I've noticed that cichlids do better with plants when they grow up with them. Worst they do to plants ever is just dig them up, never really destroy them....except for my rainbow cichlids with water sprite and wisteria...for some reason they ate those specifically but it might have been a phase.

Biggest rule with keeping plants and cichlids, don't give up if a plant doesn't work the first time. Eventually they leave the plants alone and get bored of them, I've also noticed that cichlids kept with other fish (such as tetras and other dither type fish that divert attention) tend to ignore plants.

Only time I've had problems due to cichlids was when my rainbow was trying to convince the other rainbow to spawn. He failed and so he stopped digging up my plants in that area, now he's content with it, or has accepted that he isn't getting anywhere with that lady fish :p

Mfowlie626

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2013
U.S.
Well it's a 60 gallon and i haven't set it up or got the fish yet. I'm in the process of moving and upgrading tanks for my current fish. I prefer going with sand but I was gonna try gravel and sand with the plants. Seems like the roots would hold better that way. I'd post a pic of it but I'm an hour away.

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
Plant roots do fine in just sand, no need for gravel if you don't want it. Its just that, you'll need root tabs if the plants actually stay in place, and you'll need to bury them deep.

Also, you could just do anubias, moss, and java fern, as those attach to the hardscape and should be pretty simple plants.

Mfowlie626

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2013
U.S.
Ya I actually wanted to do a lot of moss in my new 160g (Venezuelan pike, peacock bass, largemouth bass, crappie, and bichir) cause I have a lot of driftwood in there. Can you explain what root tabs are though. Like I said, I'm new to live plants.

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
I keep amazon swords, green tiger lotus, onion plants and anubias with melanurus, sevs heckellii, bellycrawler, and silver dollars. The sevs and melanurus will eat the roots so I place rocks around the plants and everything is honkey dorey.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store