How badly am I overstocked?

TheBigB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
North Texas
My 400 gallon (7'X4') tank is quickly becoming crowded and I need some opinions.

I had a great stocking plan from the beginning but the longer I go the more rare and colorful fish I want to keep so I have been collecting more and more and now Im at a crossroads.

Current stock
Black Arowana
Texas Cichlid
Festae
Oscar
Jack Dempsey
Green Terror
5 Silver Dollars
Green Severum
Convict.

And now Im growing out a TSN Catfish, Vieja Argentea, and True Parrot (hoplarchus psittacus) for that tank.

I am currently trying to find new homes for the Severum and Convict, but was thinking it might be a good idea to thin it out even more. Maybe get rid of the JD and Oscar too?

I have 8 clown loaches in another tank and some of them are starting to push the 12" mark so I have also been thinking about bringing them to the 400 bc I may not have another choice....

My problem is I like all these fish but nitrates are starting to get hard to deal with.....What would you do?

Mustardtiger101

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2013
Canada
If I were you I'd get rid of everything except for the black arowana and the clown loaches. And then maybe add some nice pbass. But that's just me.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I would love to see the loaches. I agree that the black aro and the loaches in the tank would look awesome.

Skurj

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2013
GTA Ontario Canada
Looking at that list..... did you say 400gal or 125? Sorry but I've seen people come on here with a similar list in their 125 asking what else they could add.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Looking at that list..... did you say 400gal or 125? Sorry but I've seen people come on here with a similar list in their 125 asking what else they could add.
Ha. Sad but true.

I would do away with the tsn. You wanna thin out the herd but you have a monster in there. You seem to be fine getting rid of the convict, severum, oscar, and jd... For that reason i would rehome them. I personally would keep the loaches for sure. They are so awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
My problem is I like all these fish but nitrates are starting to get hard to deal with.....What would you do?
More water changes!! ;)

Really, it is always a balancing act, and if moving on a few of the more common fish is going to let you keep the best of your collection in your biggest tank then go for it. I'd lose the oscars, con, sev, silver dollars and JD if it means you can put the argentina, psittacus and clowns in the 400g.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store