Weeksii activity level compared to others

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
So I have kept bichir for only a short period of time but find their activity levels are very different depending on what type you have. I get a lot of activity from my Del and Albino Sen but almost nothing from my 'gold dust' or weeksii.

So a question for you bichir keepers.

Will I see an increase of activity from the weeksii as it get older?
(currently it is 9" with external gills still showing, was wild caught and Ive had it for months and still trying to pellet feed it)

Or is this typical behavior for a weeksii?

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Should have added some info:
Tank is a 72g bowfront with an AC110 and Eheim 2217. Yes I know how big Weesii get and I already have a 210g set up for him

Tankmates include: 8.25" Delhezi bichir x1, 6.5" Albino Senegalus x1, 4" Gold Dust Polypterus buettikoferi x1, Australian Rainbow x 6

I have been trying to pellet train him on Hikari Sinking Carnivore, 6mm NLS Thera and feed tilapia and baitshop nightcrawlers. He will eat the real foods but not pellets even after weeks of a strict pellet only diet.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
My weeksii was the exact same way he was VERY sluggish and never really moved not even for food. Mine was about 8" and still had his external gills however they were extremely small.

syntaxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2010
Philippines
every bichirs has its character. mine is an ornate whose activity level is pretty much the swimmer. my dabola's activity level is none it just move whenever theres food or someone trying to harass her. my weeksii is pretty much the same as well.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
I almost wished I went with an Ornate instead. But when I was researching I read that the weeksii were more 'mellow' and basically played well with others. This was important because the 210g is extremely peaceful with a large Pearsei and a school of red hook silver dollars. The ornates have a reputation of being more active but also can be a bit more aggressive.

Nim Dibbley

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2010
CA
i have two weeksii and and i never really see them eat and the only time they really move is when i startle them. I also have ornates and laps and they are more active, but not much.

The most active bichirs i have are CB endlis. They are doing laps around the tank on a regular basis. If you want something more active i would check out endlis.

that being said i still think weeksii are the coolest looking of the bichirs.

dazzapolypterusweeksii

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2010
leicester,uk
i agree weeksi are the best looking bichirs. ive had my male for over 12 years and is one of the most active in my collection. his never gone for pellets either.and has always been very mellow the only aggression of seen from any type is male ornates never had a problem with females unless when i put a randy male in a breeding setup together she didnt like his attensions lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store