Plant tank temp

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
Can the standard varieties of plants that you buy at petco tolerate slightly lower temps than tropical tanks. I have a native tank in my basement which at coldest runs about high 50s low 60s. Just curious as I don't want to waste money to find out the hard way.

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
Fun fact, a lot of popular aquarium plants actually come from north america, so they prefer temperatures like that, although I've never kept a tank below 74 before :p

Vallisneria should be more than fine, I'm not sure how swords would be and a few other plants.

I'd implore you to try apongetons, specifically madigascar lace plant, as I know that plant likes it below 75 but I'm not sure what too cold for them is per say.

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
Can the standard varieties of plants that you buy at petco tolerate slightly lower temps than tropical tanks. I have a native tank in my basement which at coldest runs about high 50s low 60s. Just curious as I don't want to waste money to find out the hard way.
Depends upon the plant. Some plants like tropical conditions. Others, such as anacharis, prefer cooler water temperatures. Java fern, anubias, bolbitis, najas, and sagittaria will also tolerate cool water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store