Stingray questions

steviev123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2012
Boston, MA
Hello I've been looking into some rays and I've had a few questions.
1. What is the minimum tank size to keep a ray
2. Also what Ray is the smallest
3. How expensive are they
Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Min size depends on what type of ray you get. Plan a 180 to 300 gallon wide tank.

Im going to say retic or hystrix

Plan 150.00 or more.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Look in the other threads and stickies and you will see all the answers to your questions

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
The smallest ray is probably plesiotrygon nana, they are pretty hard to find though. Potamotrygon reticulata also stay pretty small. Mine have grown quite slowly though. I bought mine for 80 dollars each.
Potamotrygon Hystrix also stay small, they would be in the $150-$250 range if it is a true hystrix.

Inglorious

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Stuck inside my own head
For tank size depends on what ray your keeping for normal motoro ray ill say a 6' tank.
The smallest ray is called tea cup ray (Max size 1')
Pricing depends on your local Local Fish Shop.
There is no such actual thing as a tea cup ray. That's a nickname given to very small rays, usually Reticulata. The general consensus is that Motoro rays are the hardiest and easiest for beginners to keep, they are also some of the cheapest. But they do get much larger than retics or Hystrix do.

steviev123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2012
Boston, MA
Right now I have a 125 with an fx5 for filtration and 2 silver arowans, can I put one of the smaller rays u guys have mentioned with them or will it become to crammed and stunt the growth of the ray. I have sand and a lot of swimming space too.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store