Tied plants

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
So a couple of years back I discovered the absolute dynamite plant that is Anubias, which I can't recommend enough to beginners. Apart from not getting eaten by 99% of the fish i've kept; it also allows you to move the plant around at will, tied to small bits of driftwood or other anchor.

Can anyone recommend similar durable plants that could be anchored onto driftwood etc? I've got the large leaf variety of Anubias (no idea what identification), so I'd be looking for something to strike a contrast ideally.

cheers

Siddons11

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
USA
I get these plants out of my pond in the summer. They are extremely hardy and can live without their roots. They grow quickly too. I dont use co2. For lighting I use aqeon t5s and marineland leds. I forget what the plant is called.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1387285983331.jpg

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I get these plants out of my pond in the summer. They are extremely hardy and can live without their roots. They grow quickly too. I dont use co2. For lighting I use aqeon t5s and marineland leds. I forget what the plant is called.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Interesting looking plants, I've never tried co2, wouldn't have a clue where to start!

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
You need to get yourself some java moss and java fern. They are probably the best known plants for anchoring purposes. They can tolerate very low light and grow without fail. They will even attach to smooth rocks. And the moss will actually attach to the glass too!

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
The only thing i dont like about moss is once its there, its hard to rid if you dont like it... But otherwise yeah they are great...

There are actually quite a few types of anubias of different sizes... Infact i once saw an amazing aquascape online that was created with only different types of anubias, a few pieces of driftwood and some rocks...

But yeah there was no empty floorspace the tank was just filled out completely and looked amazing...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Will definitely look into the Java suggestions cheers :) I am wary of mosses that are hard to get rid of but they sound great for low maintenance.

Speaking of aquascapes, I always see tanks with great driftwood pieces, or mangrove roots that really show off all levels of the tank complemented with plants; I reckon all the good pieces probably get bought quickly from my lfs, arrghhh

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
backgrounds8.jpg

Pulled this off the internet for Java Moss, looks terrific, especially with 3D backgrounds they are awesome

backgrounds8.jpg

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Hygro. pinnatifida can be attached to rock/wood. Just recently got this myself, from what I've read either the plant grows like a weed for you or fails miserably.

You might be interested in bucephalandra. I have a couple different varieties myself. Not that easy to find and tends to be on the pricier side for aquatic plants.

Lagenandra might be of interest as well. Has crypt like leaves and grows off of a rizome similar to anubias. I believe you can attach it to driftwood like anubias as well. Haven't tried this with mine though.

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
Hygro. pinnatifida can be attached to rock/wood. Just recently got this myself, from what I've read either the plant grows like a weed for you or fails miserably.

You might be interested in bucephalandra. I have a couple different varieties myself. Not that easy to find and tends to be on the pricier side for aquatic plants.

Lagenandra might be of interest as well. Has crypt like leaves and grows off of a rizome similar to anubias. I believe you can attach it to driftwood like anubias as well. Haven't tried this with mine though.
Buce is kinda expensive though, Lagenandra is great if you can find it, and pinnatifida would be eaten by things that would normally eat plants.

Look into Java fern and African Fern, Java and Anubias alone have so many different varieties that you can make a very sweet looking tank with just those.

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
I actually stopped using java moss due to maintenance. I had to trim it every other week and it collected a lot of waste, if you grabbed a handful it was like wringing out a dirty sponge.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store