Stingrays and Bichirs

Fighter Fish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2013
Fergus, Ontario
I have a Flower Ray that I am wondering if it is safe to put 2 of my bichirs with. So far I have kept them apart, but I am running out of space and either need to combine them or sell the bichirs.
My flower ray has a 12" disc and is 22" long with the tail, I got my ray over a month ago and he was underfed, but is getting fatter and looking quite healthy now. My bichirs are a 12" Ornate and a 15" Lapredei.
Anyone with any advise or experience I would love your input. I am newer to rays, but these bichirs I have had for a while and the Ornate hasn't hurt any of my other fish before but I haven't mixed with any rays yet. The Ornate would be the same size as the disc on my Flower ray.

IMG_1902.JPG
IMG_1912.JPGIMG_1914.JPGIMG_1915.JPG

IMG_1902.JPG

IMG_1912.JPG

IMG_1914.JPG

IMG_1915.JPG

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Nice flower. Is it a big eater now and whats the main diet? Its always a risk mixing bottom dwelling fish together.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

Fighter Fish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2013
Fergus, Ontario
He is a big eater, only eating earthworms right now. Eats at least a dozen large worms everyday. I want to convert him to fish fillet soon but he had to fatten up first.
I guess I also need recommendations on the best food to convert him too and how to do it. The bichirs don't really like to worms so they eat fish fillet and raw shrimp.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
I've seen them cohab peacefully a lot but I also know there's that risk of the bichirs biting the disc of the ray or the other way around. I'd say try it but just have a plan in case something happens

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

D.Wolf

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2013
Slovenia, Europe
I've seen them cohab peacefully a lot but I also know there's that risk of the bichirs biting the disc of the ray or the other way around. I'd say try it but just have a plan in case something happens

+1

I saw how bichir made great damage to rays disk so have a plan B prepared :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
I have kept a few flowers and a tiger. To me they love to bite almost all the time. I have had bichirs bite rays in past but in this case I would worry the flower will munch on the bichirs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I have a Flower Ray that I am wondering if it is safe to put 2 of my bichirs with. So far I have kept them apart, but I am running out of space and either need to combine them or sell the bichirs.
My flower ray has a 12" disc and is 22" long with the tail, I got my ray over a month ago and he was underfed, but is getting fatter and looking quite healthy now. My bichirs are a 12" Ornate and a 15" Lapredei.
Anyone with any advise or experience I would love your input. I am newer to rays, but these bichirs I have had for a while and the Ornate hasn't hurt any of my other fish before but I haven't mixed with any rays yet. The Ornate would be the same size as the disc on my Flower ray.

View attachment 972525
View attachment 972526View attachment 972527View attachment 972528
Nice looking ray

Are you putting him in a much bigger tank as the footprint of the one he's in is very small

Fighter Fish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2013
Fergus, Ontario
Yes he is being moved to a tank with double the footprint very soon, the one he is in has a small foot print but has 36" sides which he outs to good use, I wouldn't have put him in here temporarily if it wasn't for this. This one was just used to introduce him to my home.
Partly why I am asking this question is to try to organize all my tanks and the contents in them.
Thanks for all the input so far. I would have a backup tank available to move the bichirs into if it doesn't work, its good to know that I may have to worry more about the bichirs getting hurt then the ray. The ray is worth the most so he is the top priority.

I think I will try it and monitor it closely. All are well fed so this should keep things more calm hopefully

litigator666

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
clayfield, qld australia
I have ornates living with my rays. They are all more than a foot long (2ft disk and 2ft body for bichir Approx) and don't have an issue. I also have smaller catfish syno angelicus, syno ornatippinis, spotted raphaels with no casualty.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Yes he is being moved to a tank with double the footprint very soon, the one he is in has a small foot print but has 36" sides which he outs to good use, I wouldn't have put him in here temporarily if it wasn't for this. This one was just used to introduce him to my home.
Partly why I am asking this question is to try to organize all my tanks and the contents in them.
Thanks for all the input so far. I would have a backup tank available to move the bichirs into if it doesn't work, its good to know that I may have to worry more about the bichirs getting hurt then the ray. The ray is worth the most so he is the top priority.

I think I will try it and monitor it closely. All are well fed so this should keep things more calm hopefully
You maybe ok

I had weekii with rays before and it was the weekii that took a beating every now and then

It all depends on the ray I have seen some very aggressive flower rays

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store