Dancing Fish?

lifeshighways

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2013
North Carolina
I'm a very newbie fish enthusiest... 55 gal white sand bottom only 3 fish. (1) Electric Yellow, (1) GT or BA (cant get anyone to clearly identify) and a placo (enourmous and holding his own w/NO issues from the cichlids)

My GT (or BA) does this jerking, jittering, quick back and forth dance in front of the front glass.. often.. and w/NO warning will JOLT across the tank with speed that makes sand spin under him (or her) and in the past few days has developed a bright yellow/orange edge to his top and tail fins.

Any input would be greatly appreciated

kavin2845

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2012
Malden,Massachusetts
View attachment 972542I dont have pics of him/her dancing.. but attached is a pic of the fish dong the "dancing"
from the picture he looks normal, when he "dances" its probably just flashing, i remember when i had African cichlids they used to do that but its just cause the were itchy and just scratch themselves, or he could be chasing his reflection in the glass and when he just jolts across the tank its probably cause he gets spooked, like if your stand isn't too good they can feel the vibrations from when you walk and get spooked by that, is he in a high "traffic" area of the house?

lifeshighways

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2013
North Carolina
He is in my office (at work) we dont have a high traffic here there is usually just 3 or 4 of us here and most of the time everyone is in their office - he is sort of in my area so I see him more than others. He does seem to be chasing himself... When he gets to the ends he will really skim from top to bottom pretty fast.
Thank you all for your input. I've been very happy with these guys. I actually got the Yellow first w/two peacocks and he made quick haste at ridding the tank of them.. but when I but this GT/Gold Saum in w/him he became quite the submissive lil thang! *LOL*
They all seem to be getting along pretty well and neither of the cichilds seem to pay any attention to the placo... they just let him do his thing and sometimes swim under his tail. But he is at MINIMUM 4 times their size *LOL*

kavin2845

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2012
Malden,Massachusetts
i used to have cichlids and i also had a pleco, it was a bristle nose plec the bothered him some times but not enough to make him stop eating or stressed out.

Pleco.. ;)

wikipedia:

Plecostomus is also a synonym of the genus Hypostomus and the genus Loricariichthys. Pleco is a common name for fish from the family Loricariidae.

Plecos, especially larger plecos aren't typically bothered by other fish, unless said fish have sharp teeth or are super aggressive and strong. Having said that, you never know..

lifeshighways

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2013
North Carolina
oops! Thanks for the spelling corrections (and the education) I'm just very glad they havent messed w/him all the teenyboppers at the pet chain assured me he would be dead in a week living with "Sampson" (the GT/Gold Saum) and "Bruce" the killer Electric Yellow that had already 2 deaths under his fin....

oops! Thanks for the spelling corrections (and the education) I'm just very glad they havent messed w/him all the teenyboppers at the pet chain assured me he would be dead in a week living with "Sampson" (the GT/Gold Saum) and "Bruce" the killer Electric Yellow that had already 2 deaths under his fin....
No problem. It can be challenging to assemble compatible tank mates at the best of times, even with experience. Cichlids as a general rule (there are a number of exceptions) are very territorial. So unless you enjoy mayhem, care needs to be taken when assembling livestock for a tank. There are many factors to take into consideration, not the least of which is tank size.

Good luck with the hobby! Its a rewarding one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store