Collecting Locations in Florida (Miami or Sarasota area)

grmanrocks

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
Fishville
Like it says, im gonna be in Florida early January and would love to do some collecting as well as some fishing while im down there. it will be all legal (scientific permits due to my job).

Basically looking to collect a handful of fingerlings of the following:

1. Gar : best case scenario would be to get a handful of longnose.

2. Peacock bass fingerlings as well, not sure January is a good time for that though.

3. Bowfin

4. Great Barracuda (the tiny YOY size that seem prevalent)

5. Jacks (as in Carnax sp.)

so any ideas as to where i can find these little guys? as in specific bodies of water? good fish stores that might have the gars (specifically longnose)?

what about any good adult gar fishing spots near sarasota? want to get a nice longnose or florida while im down here. what about bowfin?

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Wait till Spring time. Yes, it is Florida but we do have seasons too. The water is too cold right now for breeding, and all of the fingerlings have been fish food for almost an entire year.

The best places are in grass beds with a net. Just keep scooping blindly through the grasses and you'll be surprised at what you get. If you are getting a lot of ghost shrimp, then you'll be on the right track. The fish stay close to the food.

grmanrocks

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
Fishville
Wait till Spring time. Yes, it is Florida but we do have seasons too. The water is too cold right now for breeding, and all of the fingerlings have been fish food for almost an entire year.

The best places are in grass beds with a net. Just keep scooping blindly through the grasses and you'll be surprised at what you get. If you are getting a lot of ghost shrimp, then you'll be on the right track. The fish stay close to the food.
Thats kinda what i figured. Just gonna have to tale a shot, any reccomendations on specific locals that hold what im lookin for?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store