Visiting florida! Fish store lowdown!

grmanrocks

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
Fishville
Howdy folks,

gonna be making a trip to florida in the early part of january, anybody out that way have any recommendations on good shops to hit up for oddball stuff (gars, polys, mormyrids, knives ect.)?

also anybody know a good collecting spot that i can scoop a few net fulls (being hopeful there) of juvi gars, bowfin, bass ect? all legal with proper permitting and whatnot due to employment....

adr_93

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2013
coral springs, florida
Best place hands down that I know of and have been to is Fish Paradise in hollywood florida.. my friend got a 3 foot clown knife there. They always have giant monster arowannas red tails etc. Worth it

blindkiller85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Orlando, FL
Fishybusiness usually has a few oddball stuff there. Prices are kinda high IMO, but their fish quality is good too. Only lost 2 fish, one was swim bladder that developed 2 months in. The other was a blue phantom pleco that I think ate it self to death. It cleared my driftwood of algae in 1 night and was dead by 5pm the next day. Was in there a few days ago and they have 2 azul juvies (2-4 inches). Big clown knife 14+ inches, red and gold flowerhorn that's about 8+ inches, huge selection of african cichlids, 90% juvies though.

I think there's another SW/FW store right across the street from fishybusiness that I was only in once or twice. Because IIRC it's only SW.

There's another FW/SW store near downtown orlando that I haven't been to that I can't speak for. I think it's called darkwater aquatics.

Longwood has a store off of sweetwater which was disapointing.

Sea life in apopka has some great people but I see mostly common FW stuff there and it's all cramped. But they have been in business there since the 70's.

As far as getting locals, central florida is somewhat limited. I only know of one lake where I've found bowfin and haven't been back to it sadly. Out by CR 535 in windermere/winter garden area. Smallest gar I've seen in the wild is generally 1ft and that's pretty much any lake, getting a net on them, heh good luck. LM I have one spot that I could PM you but getting a net on them is next to impossible. But fishing for them using a pinched barb is what I've done to cycle my tanks. Smallest I've got from said lake is 3 inches, couldn't even thumb the little guy. Had it for about 2 months and doubled it in size before releasing it to the same lake.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store