The "it's only temporary" statement

bro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Fresno, CA
All too often, I read posts from people that have young monster fish in small (40-55 gl) tanks saying, "I have him in a 40 right now, BUT IT'S ONLY TEMPORARY. Usually followed with " I'm planning on getting a xxx gl tank soon.

I wonder what percentage of those people actually end up getting the monster tank?

Anyone want to venture a guess......

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Hard to say, but just from guessing, i would say probably less than 50%, since those that do actually upgrade will normally show off photos of their upgrade to shut up all the haters, or just to prove they did it... While at the same time, all those that have said they will, but never do, tend to disappear into the darkness never to be heard from again...

As most of those with larger tanks know, life can very quickly get in the way of those upgrade projects especially if something happens in life causing "X" amount of problems either financially or mentally etc...

kearns21188

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2013
Sydney Australia
Lol I was one of them but I did upgrade I was just waiting for the right price In the classifieds it takes finnesse to find a ised 180gallon with cabinet for under $500 in Sydney

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Daonni

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
nh
I really don't think people realize
Just how expensive it can be.

Sent from my LG-L38C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ so true... Especially when equipment breaks down and needs replacing...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
My tank is big enough given the hiding places and the varieties in it.

Yet, last week, i decided to upgr1de to a 700l (up from a 600l) just because bigger is better for the fishes imo, and the one i have while pretty nice has an unremovable background that takes too much space in my taste.

Ultimately, i will perhaps add a silver aro, only given that it fits in a 200x70 surface area. Which is yet to be determined and researched for. Even if there are quite a bit of people holding them in much smaller. :x

All that to say, for all those who say it and don't, thank goodness, there are people who don't say it and do! :D

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk App

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
It's always awkward because some actually do it, some don't. I have gotten fish for tanks that would have been to small for adults and then upgraded, but some just don't. I've learned to stay away from those kind of things because if the person actually intends to upgrade, you have no right to tell them off and if they don't, they usually stay away from the forum after the animal dies or the tank looks a mess.

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
Less than 50% I'd think.

I do it all the time though. But I never buy a fish that I can't move up to one of my bigger tanks I already own.

It takes a lot of restraint at times lol. But it's a lot easier on the fish, me, my marriage...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store