Flowerhorn white/clear poop week three

ZEROPILOT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2013
South east Florida
My Large ZZ red FH lives alone an a 100 gallon bare tank. The water is heated at 82 degrees. (house A/c is set at 73) The PH is around 7.8. I've been doing 50% water changes every two or three days and I've been treating with Metronidazole.He has been again infected by ghost shrimp. He was once cured of this several years ago. This time, there's no end in site! He hasn't eaten anything on his own in at least three weeks. I've been tube feeding him. I've used EPSOM SALT in the tank and in his food. I've also recently started adding a trace of the met to his tube feeding. The feeding tube and syringe contain his favorite pellets soaked in water with a trace of met and a little garlic. He swallows about half and blows the rest out. I don't want to lose him. The meds say that you should discontinue use after ten days. He' not better yet. Any thoughts?

Endo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2011
So Cal
If you are force feeding him, try force feeding some diluted epsom salt to him, with even a little metro in it. Both are safe to inject in low doses in a pipette, from my experience

Other than that, the only other option would be to try and add Prazi to the tank and just up the water changes
But IME, force feeding small dose of metro and epsom salt together has saved my fish from internal parasites

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
It's possibile this is a bacterial infection and not IPs. I would try treating with a round of Kanamycin.

ZEROPILOT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2013
South east Florida
I'll try the metro, epsom tonight in a smaller pipette. It has crossed my mind that I'm treating the wrong disease. I hope I'm wrong. Thanks!

ZEROPILOT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2013
South east Florida
I started the Kanamycin yesterday. Fingers crossed. Thanks for the quick, helpful advice.(aquanero)

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Let me know how it goes. The white stringy poop isn't always IPs and after treating for them if it hasn't cleared it's usually and indication if an intestinal infection. Sometimes the infection is caused by IPs so in that case you would have to treat for both. That's what makes it tricky at times trying to diagnoes over the internet, without a microscope to see whats going on you just have to try and see what happens. Good luck.

ZEROPILOT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2013
South east Florida
Seven days now on the Kanamycin with no change, either. Clear poop. Not eating...I'm out of ideas. Should I blast him with Metro and Kanamycin together?

Endo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2011
So Cal
Idk why you are even trying other meds when the white poop is obvious and is a symptom of some internal worm/parasite/hex

As stated, if you want to save him to the best of your ability, then shoot diluted epsom salt down his throat via a pipette and small dose of metro.
Otherwise treat with PraziPro and frequent water changes

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ZEROPILOT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2013
South east Florida
Its not stringy white poop. Its more rubbery and clear.It falls to the bottom of the tank. It does not hang. I've been adding more and more Epsom salt and Metro to his force fed food, but, as I stated, its been a month total. I'm open to other options. I purchased a large ammount of Metrodonizole( misspelled?) Is this not the best at killing parasites?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store