how many tankmates have you lost from a sting?

kikrman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2009
Australia
Hey everyone I have a leoXmotoro female around the foot disk. I have heard a few stories recently of big rays killing tankmates locally and it has got me worried. Does this happen a lot or just a freak occurrence?

Cheers in advance

snake8myelbo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2008
ut
It happens but it is rare! My Niger cat was stung in the eye took about 2 week's to recover. Friend had a Moba frontosa get stung in the face died in 5 minutes!

Sent from my C6606 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

oldfish

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2005
Beavercreek Ohio
I have never had a ray sting a non ray tankmate although they have eaten or killed several.The only time I've seen them use their stingers were females trying to fend off males or my net.

steve_b

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2009
Staffordshire, UK
Once when I was cleaning the tank a Severum got spooked, shot across the tank into the ray. The ray stung it and it was dead 10 mins later

mindfuloffish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2010
USA
I had a 25-inch iridescent shark (I rescued him 11 years ago) in a 1000 gallon pool with 2 castexi, 1 leo, 2 motoros. They'd been together 18 months. Recently I came home one afternoon to find the ID shark dead with a puncture that was in under one gill and out above an eye. Dead as a doornail and the sheath was missing from the leo's barb, so I assume he did the deed. Made me very sad but there's always that risk when you have tankmates in with rays.

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
I have never had a ray sting a non ray tankmate although they have eaten or killed several.The only time I've seen them use their stingers were females trying to fend off males or my net.
Same here......

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store