Stingray advice...

Donmedina

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2013
USA
Hi guys, I thinking if getting a teacup stingray tomorrow about 5"-6", but I would like to know what you think in regards to the other tank mates: tropheus, Nyererei, frontosa, BJD, leporinus, crenicichla saxatillis. They are all babies from 1"-3". You guys think it's ok???? Thank you in advance!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1387582898.694098.jpg

cephalofoil

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2013
landlocked.
from what i've read teacups (i'm talking potamotrygon reticulata) are delicate, finicky eaters. and your tank doesn't look anywhere big enough. I don't know a lot other than they produce a lot of waste, and there would be a risk of it eating your other fish. try posting in the Stingray subforum, there's a sticky post there about species.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
from what i've read teacups (i'm talking potamotrygon reticulata) are delicate, finicky eaters. and your tank doesn't look anywhere big enough. I don't know a lot other than they produce a lot of waste, and there would be a risk of it eating your other fish. try posting in the Stingray subforum, there's a sticky post there about species.
I agree with the above, your tank looks way too small for any type of ray to be housed in long term...

Do some research and look up tank sizes needed along with filtration etc, since rays are not an easy nor cheap species of fish to keep...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Stateofficer1984

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2011
Fairmont North Carolina
Be prepared to do a lot of water changes, and buy a lot of food. And since retics only eat live food as pups it will be expensive!! I currently spend about $60 a month feeding my group of marble motoros, and that price will go up once I get them to start breeding because pregnant females are always hungry!!!

A better choice for the op would be hystrix, they are alot hardier, and will except other foods other then live.. Good luck finding a hystrix, they are rare!!!

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Tank looks far to small. The decor is sharp and will harm the ray. I have a friend with a retic and its 13inches across so about 18inches long.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store