Datnoid - Red throat and mouth?!?!

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
Hey guys my Indo Datnoid has recently developed a red throat and mouth. from the bottom of throat up to about the eye. I don't have water parameters. I can tell you the fish is acting as normal: eating and not overly breathing hard. I do 50 percent water changes on his 100 gallon tank religiously weekly. He is about 4in and has always eaten a diet of freeze dried krill and blood worms. I have attached pictures, they aren't the best but you can see the redness. Anyone ever seen anything like this? IMG_20131220_191615.jpgIMG_20131220_191649.jpg

IMG_20131220_191615.jpg

IMG_20131220_191649.jpg

SickSauce

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2011
Mekong Delta
My 3" IT has something similar and when i got it it was very thin, fungus on dorsal and anal fins with spine showing. After a week the redish line on its lower jaw turn into a red worm sticking out of a pimple bump. I nurse it back to health but the red line is still there, Im going to treat with parasite meds when its a little bigger. Its nice and healthy now

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
Definitely eating well and not skinny. I added the "yet" because I have no idea maybe things will go down hill but nothing is showing that yet. I do not soak the fdk. Anyone have any ideas off hand what it might be? Ill get the parameters soon.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
I don't think this is a worm. Please post your water parameters ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, Ph and hardness if available.

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
I couldn't say for sure from those pic's, But I'd bet somethings wrong with the water parameters, perhaps an ammonia spike or high nitrates . How long has this tank/filter been running ? Is it fully cycled ? Are u on city water if so do u use dechlor ?

Could be a few things so I'd test the water ASAP, then do a water change maybe add a bit of salt to help with recovery. Better to do the test first if u can so u can identify the issue before the water change dilutes it, at least you'll know what to watch for from then on , but dont make the fish suffer over it, can always do a water change and then buy a test kit to monitor afterward to see if any issues arise.

I've seen this with my Dats, admittedly it normally lines up with me slacking on water changes or accidental over feeding in a rush at night ... either way i'd suspect it links to some sort of water quality issue. On the up side in my experiences it clears up with regular water changes and some salt.

Hope that helps!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store