Pirhanas vs. sunfish

s010245

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2012
Philadelphia
Which would make a cooler 90 gallon tank? What are the pros/cons of each? Btw i mean pumpkinseeds/rock bass and such for sunfish and a school of red bellies for the Pirhanas.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

lando

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2013
fort st john bc canada
We'll personally red bellies are only cool in larger shoals. And with a 90 for life is say 3-4 max. Of course you could have 8-12 in there if bought a very small size for a while. But a couple 12"piranhas in a 4' tank wll that's not a lot of room

kavin2845

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2012
Malden,Massachusetts
i personally think the pumkinseed would look alot better, since they have better colors and arnt as shy as piranhas

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
IME experience I've owned aggressive RB's that were owned by someone whould feed them once a week!! I personally fed them feeder fish every other day and they remained aggressive. Raised small RB's and the were more skittish :).

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I've seen quite a few tanks with groups of RB's and some of them have chunks bitten out of them...shoulders missing,tails chewed off etc...I'm not sure if this kind of thing is bound to happen if the tank is not big enough but I doubt it would be an issue with a tank full of sunnies.

kavin2845

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2012
Malden,Massachusetts
Red bellies?

i have a friend with Red bellies and every time i go over they always hide behind the driftwood and plants, then when he feeds they come out and go crazy but wont look good in the the living room or something, there would be no movement, or you could starve them and feed once a week then they would be out looking for food, or feed them feeders to get them a bit more aggressive but then you risk parasites in your fish. i would personally go for the sunfish which look better and are IMO more aggressive and active, red bellies aren't as aggressive as people and the media perceives them to be.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store