Did I just killed my shrimps?!

viviancoco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2013
Singapore
1) 4 shrimps died on me within 3days (3 tigers, 1 blue pearl)

2) My female crayfish has been laying on her back for hours. Tried flipping it over, but she laid back again almost immediately. She kept moving her limbs as thou she's struggling or trying to molt..

-- I realized I only de-chlorinated the tap water during water change. Didn't regulate the ph and ammonia lvl.. And after 2 hours, my crayfish flipped herself back again and started roaming as per normal.

Did I killed my shrimps and nearly my crayfish due to my negligence?

Is my crayfish coincidently molting at this period of time? Didn't see her molt before):

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
1) 4 shrimps died on me within 3days (3 tigers, 1 blue pearl)

2) My female crayfish has been laying on her back for hours. Tried flipping it over, but she laid back again almost immediately. She kept moving her limbs as thou she's struggling or trying to molt..

-- I realized I only de-chlorinated the tap water during water change. Didn't regulate the ph and ammonia lvl.. And after 2 hours, my crayfish flipped herself back again and started roaming as per normal.

Did I killed my shrimps and nearly my crayfish due to my negligence?

Is my crayfish coincidently molting at this period of time? Didn't see her molt before):

So basically your tank isnt cycled and doesnt have beneficial bacteria to convert ammonia to nitrite and nitrite to nitrate which is easily removed with waterchanges and far less toxic then the other 2.

What do you mean when you say 'you only dechlor tap water during the waterchange and didnt regulate ph and ammonia?'

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title and 9 wins back to back in 1 season (record!) See you next year in Australia boys!×

Cheap way to decrease nitrates and keep your fish healthy: http://monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504763 [/QUOTE]

viviancoco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2013
Singapore
Hmm, cycled the water for only a few days after adding tap water conditioner that removes chlorine. My guess is that I might overfed causing a shrimp to die last week and only after these 3 days incident, I realized the ammonia lvl was rather high, ard 1-2 and ph lvl was 8..

-- added proper ph7 and got something to digest ammonia and nitrate.. And ya, it seems better now................ Am I making it worst?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Okay, give us some details about the tank...

What temp are you keeping the tank at?

What substrate / deco / plants have you got in the tank (better yet, do you have a pic)?

What type of filtration are you using?

How long and how exactly did you cycle your tank?

Do you does your tank with anything, whether it be dechlorinator, ferts, PH up / Down etc?

Coz any number of things could cause your shrimp problem, especially more delicate species such as yours..

viviancoco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2013
Singapore
Okay, give us some details about the tank...

What temp are you keeping the tank at?

What substrate / deco / plants have you got in the tank (better yet, do you have a pic)?

What type of filtration are you using?

How long and how exactly did you cycle your tank?

Do you does your tank with anything, whether it be dechlorinator, ferts, PH up / Down etc?

Coz any number of things could cause your shrimp problem, especially more delicate species such as yours..
Gh currently at 6
Ph at 7
Nitrate and ammonia 0

As for plants, I'm using plastic ones

Yep, I use proper ph7, ammonia and nitrate remover and de-chlorinizer..

Cycled for 1 week before putting live stocks in~

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
What are your temps like? And how did you cycle the tank, since im guessing one of thise two things may have caused your problem...

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
Gh currently at 6
Ph at 7
Nitrate and ammonia 0

As for plants, I'm using plastic ones

Yep, I use proper ph7, ammonia and nitrate remover and de-chlorinizer..

Cycled for 1 week before putting live stocks in~

1 week is about 1/4 of the time you need at least, if you're starting with a fresh tank. Be patient.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
The species you are keeping tend to prefer cooler temps... I would say preferably below 26'C - min around 18'C

So around 22'C - 24'C is probably best, also having plenty of moss or other plants etc help

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store