New here! Couple questions & ID fish

MrMike

Feeder Fish
Dec 22, 2013
Lynnwood
First off i'd just love to say i absolutley love this Forum, i've always lurked at pictures of all your guys biggest fish and the smallest ones too and i've always wanted to own 'Monster fish' but i just joined not because of monster fish but for the hobby.​

Today i was at petco and they have there adoption center and there was these two big fish (Look like silverdollars) but i'm not sure what they are so i decided to take them home along with three FREE cichlids, the adoption fee is only $5 and i'll take anything in to give it a home. I'm aware that my tank has a mix of fish and i've NEVER had a problem with mixing fish, I've had goldfish with cichlids, I've had tetras with oscars and i've had three bettas in one tank that where happy, So please don't go bashing on my tank, I keep an eye on everything just about all times.

Current setup(what i know of);

• 40 Gallon (i think)
  • 2 Crayfish
  • 4 Firemouth cichlids
  • 1 Chinese algae eater
  • 1 Black Crappie

CURRENTLY GETTING SOME PICTURES

Libpete

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2013
England
Hi, I joined the forum for the same reason as you. Its like joining a supercar forum but you can only afford a mini, haha.

If you post your tank footprint, someone will tell you the exact amount of gallons.

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
Welcome. Measure out your tank and put it into the calculator it will tell how big it is.

The crappie might outgrow the tank though

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
Welcome, everyone has to start somewhere. Most of the time, the more you learn the better things are.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Welcome,

So, the new fish you just adopted, are on top of the fish you already have?
I don't mean any disrespect, but I would STRONGLY recommend you do a little more homework before bringing home more fish. Kind of like the proverbial kid shows up at home with a puppy, and not knowing what its needs are.
We're here to help, though.

In addition to that; Crappies (if that is what you actually have) are natural predators of smaller fish and crayfish - so you will be missing some crayfish and your algae eaters after a while, if not soon.

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
For sure do your homework on everything that you do. No matter if it is getting a new fish of buying supplies for your tank. you are for sure gonna need a bigger tank if you do have a crappie. they grow fast and eat like pigs. i have a lage tank full of mixed sunfish and i would say that my small ones i got about six months ago have grown a good inch in length already. some of your fish in there also need different water parameters as well.

kavin2845

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2012
Malden,Massachusetts
Welcome to MFK!
You came to a good site with very helpful people!

First off I would measure out your tank and use some gallon calculators (here is one I use http://www.fishfriend.com/tank_volume_calculator.html) to be for sure, I think you’re really overstocked for fish, you should do some homework before ever buying a new fish, and the fish in your tank have different requirements and should not be mixed. The fire mouth are going to become very territorial and are going to fight constantly in such a small space and one of them might get killed. The crayfish can also kill one of them too and the Chinese algae eater will get 11 inches long and will be very aggressive and destructive as an adult.

if you really want some cool monster fish i would get rid of your stock right now (find a friend who would take them in or a LFS(local fish store) that would take them in) NEVER RELEASE INTO THE WILD!!!
And after you get rid of them check out of mini-monster thread! here is the link
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?227845-The-End-All-Mini-Monster-Thread
There is a lot of mini-monsters that would look good in a 40 gallon tank for example, these are some cool mini monsters do some research on them and see which one you like

Leopard Ctenopoma

Carinotetraodon travancoricus (Dwarf Puffers)

Sajica cichlid

Exodon also known as Bucktoothed Tetra

Red/Rainbow Wolf fish (I would check this one out would do fine in a 40g but has to be the only fish in the tank)

African Butterfly Fish (mini Arowana, I have one it’s my favorite mini-monster!)

South American Leaf Fish (very cool ambush predator, I have a tank full, I feed them guppy fry very cool and fun to watch)

Congo Puffer (very cool puffer!)

As you can see there are a lot of other fish you can keep that would be happy and are mini monsters, check out the thread and see what you like and read the brief description they have and see if it would be suitable for you tank. The first step would be to measure you tank and find the correct size, next would be to get rid of your stock, then research on what would be best then enjoy your tank. If you need help post up a thread on here and I’m pretty sure we would love to help or shoot me a PM I went through the same thing when I started out with a 40Breeder tank and overstocked it (common rookie mistake) but then I joined this size and found fish that I was happy with and were pretty monster so if you need help choosing a fish shoot me a PM and I will gladly help!

Good Luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store