API Water Test Strips

hulk181

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2012
Cerritos CA
Are the API water test strips any good? I have the bottle kit, but I don't think the nitrate reading is accurate. I test the water before and after water changes and it still comes out at 160 nitrate. I took a water sample to Petsmart and they are told me it was 20 nitrate.

What do you think about those API test strips?

kavin2845

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2012
Malden,Massachusetts
the test strips are crap, and a waste of money, get yourself the API Master test kit the liquid one, they give accurate results and one kit lasts 800 tests from what it says on the box, well worth the $15 bucks on Amazon.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Back when I used to test heavily, 5-6 tanks before and after water changes weekly. I used to randomly test one of the tanks with the test strips also to verify my API master kit. Never once did I have a bad reading from a test strip always read as accurate as the API master test.

kavin2845

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2012
Malden,Massachusetts
Back when I used to test heavily, 5-6 tanks before and after water changes weekly. I used to randomly test one of the tanks with the test strips also to verify my API master kit. Never once did I have a bad reading from a test strip always read as accurate as the API master test.
i think it depends on how long there shelf life was, ive never had a good time with test strips.

Dr_Shakalu

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2007
San Francisco
I've heard that the API test strips weren't accurate so I bought the master kit. However, for some reason, whenever I tested for Nitrates, (before and the next day after a water change), it always measured close to 40 not matter how much water I change and how often. I've read a couple of people's posts that have that problem also. Is there any truth that the Nitrate test are not accurate? I'm not talking about the strips but the liquid tester.

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
Ive used API test strips in the past and have used their master test kit for years. IME the test strips give a mostly accurate reading, but not as accurate as the master kit. If you hold the master kit tubes up to the light in different areas or time of day, nitrate readings of 20 and 40 can look similar. I hold the tubes up to a white paper for better readings. For the op, sounds like you got a bad kit. I'd call the company and complain. I've spoken with them in the past and have found them to be very helpful.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

hulk181

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2012
Cerritos CA
I've heard that the API test strips weren't accurate so I bought the master kit. However, for some reason, whenever I tested for Nitrates, (before and the next day after a water change), it always measured close to 40 not matter how much water I change and how often. I've read a couple of people's posts that have that problem also. Is there any truth that the Nitrate test are not accurate? I'm not talking about the strips but the liquid tester.
I have the same problem except my nitrates always look red, and it looks like its either 60 or 80 or maybe even more in the right light. The colors on the chart all look the same to me.

I read somewhere that if the test tubes aren't spotless clean, it will give you a false reading and i think that might be true (especially for the nitrate test). I've talked with some other people who use the same bottle test kit and they all say that their nitrate readings didnt go down at all after water changes. I think the nitrate test isn't good and if your nitrate is high, the colors are too similar to each other to tell what exactly your nitrate is.

hulk181

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2012
Cerritos CA
Ive used API test strips in the past and have used their master test kit for years. IME the test strips give a mostly accurate reading, but not as accurate as the master kit. If you hold the master kit tubes up to the light in different areas or time of day, nitrate readings of 20 and 40 can look similar. I hold the tubes up to a white paper for better readings. For the op, sounds like you got a bad kit. I'd call the company and complain. I've spoken with them in the past and have found them to be very helpful.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I read all the Amazon reviews for the strips and some other people have also used the strips first and then the bottles and test tubes to double check. From the reviews, it seems like the strips are fairly accurate and the bottle test kits give similar readings.

I think a good way to do things would be to use the test strips first and then if anything looks out of the ordinary or really high, to use the bottles to confirm and double check. I definitely think the strips are a lot less hassle and much quicker too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store