ID and advise ("hystrix peru"

Joao M

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2010
Portugal
Hello

I found this young male for sale ay an affordable price.
It´s supposed to be wild and labeled as Potamotrygon sp "hystrix peru", so a false hystrix.

what do you think? Are these "false hystrix" already classified?

sp peru 1.jpg
sp peru 2.jpg
sp peru3.jpg
sp peru4.jpg

sp peru 1.jpg

sp peru 2.jpg

sp peru3.jpg

sp peru4.jpg

Joao M

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2010
Portugal
T1
Thanks for the answer, but I know it is not a (true) hystrix.
What I would like to know is if these have already been classified - or are still Potamotrygon sp. "hystrix peru"-, their final size, etc. I would also like to confirm that the overall aspect ( healthwise) of this specimen is good and finally if its markings are expect to change as it grows

thanks

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Health is not super great but not really horrible. If you buy it try to put a deposit down on it with the requirement that it eats really well for at least 2-3 weeks and the dent on the head goes away. Then you accomplished 2 things getting the health up to par and making sure its eating something really well so when its in your tank you know what to feed it for the first little while. If they go for that follow up and go to the store often and get them to feed him while you are there and see how its progressing during your visits. Overall the pattern looks great and interesting. Neat ray in my opinion. Patterns can always change and adjust but I would not worry about that too much with this ray.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

Joao M

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2010
Portugal
Thanks for the help.

Rayman
The ray was imported a month ago and bought buy another hobbyist and - according to the him -, it has been eating earthworms (check the 2nd pic).

Kevin
It will not be possible to do what you are suggesting (I just spoke with the owner). You have to understand that Portugal is a very small market and even smaller for stingrays (there should be less than 20 in the entire country, mostly motoros), so its a selller market: when one pops by, you take it or leave it...

Anyway, with the dent and not knowing how big it will be and how it will look... I´ll probably pass by

yargnits

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
Leeds, UK.
if it helps i think this type used to be called yepizi but i think they were called something else after that. nice looking ray either way :)

if you get it transfer it really slow so it doesnt get stressed with the change in water and then feed it chopped earth worms if it wont take anything else.

good luck :)

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
Its a cool little ray.

Those sp peru rays are a mix of yepezi orbs etc and some really cool things pop up from time to time. The dent doesnt look to bad and if you can see him feed and they are as ray as you say i would take the shot.

As far as size that is anyones guess, but a male should stay resonable.

Joao M

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2010
Portugal
Thanks for the replies but I have opted not to buy it.
The timming isn´t perfect (I need to move some stock before purchasing) and it´s not exactly what I was looking for.

So, I´ll wait. At the end I may have to order from Holland

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Thanks for the help.

Rayman
The ray was imported a month ago and bought buy another hobbyist and - according to the him -, it has been eating earthworms (check the 2nd pic).

Kevin
It will not be possible to do what you are suggesting (I just spoke with the owner). You have to understand that Portugal is a very small market and even smaller for stingrays (there should be less than 20 in the entire country, mostly motoros), so its a selller market: when one pops by, you take it or leave it...

Anyway, with the dent and not knowing how big it will be and how it will look... I´ll probably pass by
That's real bad just because it's a sellers market doesn't give the seller the right to sell a sick or unhealthy ray

If you have left a deposit that should be refunded if the ray dies before you pick it up

Like you said they have had the ray a month without no buyers

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store