Stocking 66 Gallon (40 x 20 x 20) tank

D. Soares

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2013
Brazil, Ceará, Fortaleza
Hello, thats my first topic here, to explain in short i were with Discus but my canister give me a problem and they all die from lack of oxygen... :cry:
i'm probably never again trusting them to principal filter, i may put him as a help (its a 270GPH, and working, not something that we just throw away, especially because the prices from Brazil...) now im with a sump, with an chinese pump, Resun B-2000 (540GPH) but i probably will use her for salt mixing in a reef project and buy a 660GPH more trustfull pump..

Leaving introductions away, as the title says, now i'm re-stocking the tank, it's a 40 x 20 x 20 tank (i'm Brazillian so a more correct measure would be 100 x 50 x 50cm)
i'm planning on put a single Oscar in there, but many people say the minimum would be 75 gallon so i'm open to sugestion...
i would like american chiclids, if i don't find a nice sotck list i'll go with some schooling fish in great numbers (Cardinal Tetra x 120 or something among those lines) or a schooling communityor even get back with Discus

that's pretty much all i have to ask, Could an Oscar live him all-life in 66 Gal ? if not would you please sugest some stocking ?

D. Soares

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2013
Brazil, Ceará, Fortaleza
So as do i, but i where wanting know more people opnion, i usually found stuff talking of 55 gal, most experienced says 75 another says 90, other says that 55 is fine but should be at least 48", i know, the bigver the better but in Brazil an bigger tank is very expensive..

Aniway next week i guess i will start hunting for an baby albino red tiger at the lfs

Fish on Fire

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Visalia/Berkeley, California
Oscar should be fine in that tank, plenty of width for it. As far as large cichlids go, they aren't particularly active swimmers either so it should be fine, IMO. Just keep up with water changes and have good filtration on it.

D. Soares

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2013
Brazil, Ceará, Fortaleza
Hello, and merry Xmas
i am with the chance of getting a 40 x 20 x 25 tank, the details would be a pain to explain so i'll jump that part;
But it would be some nice 83 gallon (right ?) and i was wondering... Would be OK put a Bichir Senegalus or a Pleco or some other gravel fish ?

If dont i guess i will put a 40 x 20 x 22 or 23 just to make a better tank for the oscar, that all, woul be nice get a quickly a possible answer because i will need to take out the 66 gallon an get the 1 or 2 inch oscar that i'll buy into a 10 or 30 gallon tank (probably 10) so the sooner i get a conclusion the better will be
thanks everyone, later when he/she get over 5 inch i will make a topic for the tank

D. Soares

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2013
Brazil, Ceará, Fortaleza
Here am i just a few minutes after the first post and reach some ideas

first of all, if will be the oscar alone will be a 40 x 20 x 24, some 80 gallon

and second, what you guys think about a Raphael catfish ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store