Easy and best plant to make a carpet with

Crazygn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2013
Maryland
I'am looking to make a carpet in my 55 gal tank and I'am not really sure how to go about it. I know dwarf hair grass is one option but is there any other. Keep in mind I have a 4 -bulb t8 light fixture from lowes and liquid co2 booster and liquid ferts .

Best sat option and how much I would need, also how does it grow.... Does it spread out and grow or does it need to be planted tight together

sorry for all the questions but I'am new to plants and me and my 10 year old love it already

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ You maybe able to grow hair grass under those conditions if you have a good substrate...

Best way to grow it imo is; first work out visually where you want the hair grass to grow, and then place small bunches about 1 sq inch apart from each other... then over time they will start to cover that area, and other areas around it, so trimming maybe necessary over time, as they do send out runners, which can if left un-mangaed for too long, can be hard to remove...

Another simple plant that would work is using Moss as a carpet... although this type of carpet will trap a lot of leftover foods etc, so vacuuming it with a sponge over the head of the vacuum device will help...

I've even seen people create a carpet with anubias petite along with other short growing plants, but probably hair grass or moss would be an easier plant to work with for a beginner tank...

Crazygn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2013
Maryland
I have Eco complete only .... Thanks for the info , I seen your tank build very nice . I have a little hair grass still in the tank so I might see if that will grow first before I pick

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I have Eco complete only .... Thanks for the info , I seen your tank build very nice . I have a little hair grass still in the tank so I might see if that will grow first before I pick
Thanks for the compliment, in fact i've just rescaped half of my 60G tank, just waiting for it to settle and will do an update...

But yeah, back on topic, the hairgrass should work, since in my 60G im using 2 T8's one bulb 6500K and one 8000K if i remember correctly + pressurized Co2...

So with 4 T8's and excel you should be okay? Since i think i remember mine was growing pretty well on excel before i went with pressurized Co2, it was just my baby tears i couldnt get to work without all the high tech bells and whistles...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth

Crazygn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2013
Maryland
Got some Christmas moss and a Anubis nana I believe it is for my drift wood, also picked up some hair grass to see how it grows . I''ll post pictures as I go

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Cool, keep us updated, would love to see your tank progress...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Crazygn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2013
Maryland
Hair grass seems to be doing nothing, a little brown , and the last few day I've had a brown algae break out

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store