First time marine

cainsthepain

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2013
taupo,new zealand
Hey to all the people on mfk,ive been keeping tropical freshwater fish for a long time now and want a challenge. Ive always wanted a tropical marine tank or even a reef,back when i had my first aquatic pet (axolotl) but ended up following the easier path of fresh water tropical,which in the long run I would think it would prepare me for a marine tank.

Before I say too much I want to get to the question,I want some info on filtration,heating,tank size and lighting. Ive got a tank that I thought was resonable size for me "a beginner",Its a standard 55 gallon I think,its been previously used for tropical fish.Its the aquaone 980 if tht helps.Im going to be buying a reverse osmosis unit jst because i know it will be alot easier than using tap water.

Im probably going to have FOWLR tank for the first coule of months,idk if a properly cycled tank would be more healthy to add easy to maintain corals.also for the fish im thinking on the standard clown fish,some sort of cleaner shrimp and maybe a six-line wrasse (if i get one i will be adding it last) if there were anything else that would be reef compatible and also compatible with the selection ive got i would happily take some advice.

Thanks if you took the time to read this and thanks for some advide/tips given ,Happy reefing.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jstautberg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Cincinnati
Check out eshopps for your filter. I purchased one of their wet/dry filters and have been happy with it. Lighting depends on how serious you get with corals. There are better people in this forum to give advice about that since I have stayed low end. Certainly look into a protein skimmer. Try to get an in sump skimmer. It will make your life easier. Good luck, be patient and enjoy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store