New way to cure Silicone?!

kavin2845

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2012
Malden,Massachusetts
so i was thinking about this today, and i was thinking that one you apply the silicone to the tank and all the seams and such, then you would wait 24 hours then fill the tank up 10% then you would repeat this process till the tank is full then drain the tank and wait a week for the silicone to fully cure. My reasoning behind this is that after 24 hours the top layer of the silicone would be cured then if you add the water the pressure of the water would push the uncured silicone (below the top layer) into all the nooks and crannies and would make for a better seal.

What do you guys think? Has it been done before? Should i do it since i just finished applying the silicone on my tank?

Curious to see what you guys think :grinno:

HamLuke

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2013
Ohio
But won't the silicone be fully cured after 5-10 days? Your 10% method would take ten days to reach 100%. I think if you just apply the silicone correctly, there should be no issues.

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
^ yeah you shouldn't do that haha, could risk getiing nasty chems in the water

Reasoning behind it sounds solid give it a shot! I would do 25% at a time though for the reasons previously stated

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

blindkiller85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Orlando, FL
I wait a week with mine, but I use marine grade silicone and I rinse the tank for about 3 hours before filling it up for a leak test, drain it set it up on the stand and fill it up and do a 100% WC before adding and running filters. And yes, I'm FW guy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store