Christmas miracle

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
A few days ago our Oscars spawned but the eggs all seemed to go bad. Well today my wife saw them putting wigglers in a hiding spot. Now will they be fine or die because of the fungus that was on the eggs. Merry Christmas to all.

chrisb01

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Lakeland, FL.
First, congrats. That is great.

No, I don't think they'll die. I had the same thing happen with my Severums (female gold, male green). First I thought they had eaten the eggs or that the eggs were lost, they also looked covered with fungus, but a couple of days later I found a bunch of fry swimming around.

If you have other fish in the tank, you need to separate the babies.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
my JD just spawned , they have the same funges (fuzzy) on them, thought they where done for, maybe not then?

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
We have had other fish spawn in this tank without separating them and they were fine. The parents are protective enough to keep them safe. We will probably suck them out when they are about a week old. Little Oscars are about as cute as little fish get.

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
First, congrats. That is great.

No, I don't think they'll die. I had the same thing happen with my Severums (female gold, male green). First I thought they had eaten the eggs or that the eggs were lost, they also looked covered with fungus, but a couple of days later I found a bunch of fry swimming around.

If you have other fish in the tank, you need to separate the babies.
what babies are born from mixed severum parents :O are they hybrids or just half gold and half of them green?

also congrats OP on the spawn, oscars are notoriously hard to spawn!

chrisb01

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Lakeland, FL.
what babies are born from mixed severum parents :O are they hybrids or just half gold and half of them green?
As far as I can tell they are all green. Maybe they are still too small, they are about a 1/4 inch now.

No, no hybrids. Don't forget that albino is not a species in itself, but a lack of pigment gene that has been kept going by breeding them to each other. In other words, in time albinoes can revert back to green.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
After the fry hatch, it is totally normal for the remains on the spawning site to fungus over, sounds like the parents are doing what they are supposed to.
The wrigglers will not need to eat until they become free swimming, but you should be prepared to feed, at that time.

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
As far as I can tell they are all green. Maybe they are still too small, they are about a 1/4 inch now.

No, no hybrids. Don't forget that albino is not a species in itself, but a lack of pigment gene that has been kept going by breeding them to each other. In other words, in time albinoes can revert back to green.
Ah yeah thanks for clearing that up, I went kinda dead up there and forgot that the golds are just a color morph.

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
Well the Oscars hid their fry under a rock and then just left them. So no fry left now.
I believe your severum fry will all be green or wild coloring.

chrisb01

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Lakeland, FL.
Well the Oscars hid their fry under a rock and then just left them. So no fry left now.
This also happened to me. I left the fry in the tank and they disappeared. So on the second time around as soon as I saw the free swimming fry, I siphoned them out with a hose.

The trick is, as soon as you see eggs again, keep an eye on them, like about four times a day. Then suddenly you won't see the eggs (nothing), then you will see the free swimming fry. Siphon them out with a hose. I used the hose from my gravel vac. The whole process might take a few days.

They'll have eggs again soon. Keep an eye on them, they'll go to the same spot as before to lay the eggs.

Keep us posted.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store