Red Snakehead advise and info

Okaslan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2013
Uk
Dear readers,

Have recently purchased two baby SH's. have them in a 400 litre tank with just a plec.

Just wanted to get some information on feeding and the basic info on these species.

I would like to get them on live feeders, so far they are snapping up Guppies.

Any info would be amazing.

Btw merry Xmas all

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
My giant snakehead only ate feeders until he hit the 5" mark then I starved him for just over a week and then he accepted pellets, he eats anything and everything now.

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
I got my giant at 1.5-2". within 2 weeks he had doubled in size. Giants obviously grow a lot faster, now hes a year old and he recently got a lot thicker. they seem to grow long then wide and keep switching.

once mine was 4" i had him on the small goldies instead of minnows. try starving him after a big feeding until he will accept pellets. snakeheads are greedy and they would rather accept a pellet when starved than wait for goldfish. my guy eats anything I put in. he even eats veggies I put in for the pacú.

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
I don't mean to knock you off of your high horse but you are aware I fed my fish goldies for about
2 weeks before I weaned him to pellets, and he hasn't had any since. I think that qualifies as a TREAT.

Also Gill they don't have feeder fish in the UK, people have to buy actual guppies at retail.

babyfishbreeder

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2013
Philippines
I gave mine feeders twice a week until they reached around 10 inches
then I started giving them chopped up fish (just be careful when feeding, they jump and might bite your fingers)

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
I have mine in a 851 liter tank, Beware how quickly they grow, if you feed them a lot they will grow SUPER fast. I had to put mine down to a feeding every 2-3 days. hes a year old now.

Okaslan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2013
Uk
Yeah these two seem to be hungry all the time.

I think I'll do what you do, and have a goldie as a treat. Maybe try pellets along side.

I've noticed they try to jump when feeding, one ever caught any of you guys fingers?

Please post picture of your one mate :)

Okaslan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2013
Uk
I don't mean to knock you off of your high horse but you are aware I fed my fish goldies for about
2 weeks before I weaned him to pellets, and he hasn't had any since. I think that qualifies as a TREAT.

Also Gill they don't have feeder fish in the UK, people have to buy actual guppies at retail.
This is true, and after a while guppie feeding gets quite boring :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store