Need help on choosing a Camera

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Hey guys I've been wanting to have a camera for a while now, my old one broke and I only have a crappy cellphone pics now and I was wondering if anyone could give me information on a good deal. preferebly one that is good for taking pictures of fish.

I guess I don't really want to spend much more than about 600 dollars but that really depends on what is available.
The old camera that I used had settings that made taking pictures of fish REALLY easy and I want something similar as fish will be one of the main things I enjoy photographing aswell as scenery.
The camera was a Olympus E520

I look forward to hearing your replies!

Skurj

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2013
GTA Ontario Canada
A low end DSLR might do you good. Something like a Canon T3 and then save some pennies for a 90mm+ Macro lens.

I have the basic package T3 with the 18-55 lens, it probably can be had for around $360 in Canada, there is also a cheaper one out there with the same camera just a cheaper lens 18-55 still, at around 299 (shoppers drug mart). The macro lens though might run you $400+ but you can play with the lens it comes with for now to learn and see how you like it.

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Skurj, So would you say the Canon T3 is good for taking pictures of fish? Could you show me a pic you have taken with it?

Hanwyz Do you have any particular model in mind?

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
I use a Canon T1i. I'm not the best photographer but here are some photos I've taken with my camera. These photos were taken with just the camera and it's kit lense and decent tank lightings. No external flash or fancy lense.

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Those pictures are beautiful! I love the Macro shots and your fish are awesome too. very few members here are proffesional photographers don`t be too critical of yourself I would love to have pictures like that... My phone is great for landscapes but I really need something more heavy duty.

I am going on safari in 6 months so I have a pretty pic heavy year coming up, including my brothers wedding

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Following googling around and looking for some good entry level DSLR cameras I have made the decision.

I am ordering a Canon EOS Rebel T3 12.2MP DSLR Camera With 18-55mm IS Lens Kit.

I realize that the more expensive Canons (600-1000-1400 price range) are the same basica camera but with better lenses. So as Skurj suggested, it seems like a good investment to play around with the extremely versatile settings the camera has to offer and then upgrade the lense later down the line. I have heard nothing but good things about this Camera and I got an AWESOME deal on it for Boxing day.

The cheaper on which didn`t have the image stabilization lens kit made me realize that if I wanted to add the IS lens kit it would cost MUCH MORE than just buying the one with the IS lens kit.
I am really looking forward to sharing some good pics of my fish as I have been without a DSLR for a few years now. Here are a couple of the older pics I took.

as you can see I am no master myself, but I would like to take some good pictures again instead of relying on Cell phones

kavin2845

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2012
Malden,Massachusetts
I have the Cannon EOS rebel T3 and it comes with a 75-300mm Zoom Lens and a EFS 18-55mm lens.
im FARRR from a pro but here are some pics i took, some are fish some are other general stuff i saw when i was traveling.

IMG_0403.jpgIMG_0579.jpgIMG_0602.jpgIMG_0849.jpgIMG_1167.jpgIMG_1277.jpgIMG_1311.jpgIMG_1365.jpg

its a pretty good camera, theres a member on here who actually used my camera to take a pic and it was amazing, his name is xander, he will help you choose a camera hes really freakin good! also there other member like Greenterra who can help you out, there really freaking good! i got my kit for i think $600, and its a pretty good standard DSLR

Good Luck!

IMG_0403.jpg

IMG_0579.jpg

IMG_0589.jpg

IMG_0602.jpg

IMG_0849.jpg

IMG_1005.jpg

IMG_1082.jpg

IMG_1167.jpg

IMG_1177.jpg

IMG_1277.jpg

IMG_1311.jpg

IMG_1365.jpg

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
I have the Cannon EOS rebel T3 and it comes with a 75-300mm Zoom Lens and a EFS 18-55mm lens.
im FARRR from a pro but here are some pics i took, some are fish some are other general stuff i saw when i was traveling.

View attachment 974714View attachment 974715View attachment 974717View attachment 974720View attachment 974724View attachment 974726View attachment 974727View attachment 974728

its a pretty good camera, theres a member on here who actually used my camera to take a pic and it was amazing, his name is xander, he will help you choose a camera hes really freakin good! also there other member like Greenterra who can help you out, there really freaking good! i got my kit for i think $600, and its a pretty good standard DSLR

Good Luck!

Thanks so much! Those pictures are amazing, I don`t know if you saw the post where I said I placed my order. I only paid aroun 400 cause of holiday sales so I saved at least 100 dollars. I am looking forward to my camera coming even more now after seeing those pictures!

kavin2845

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2012
Malden,Massachusetts
Thanks so much! Those pictures are amazing, I don`t know if you saw the post where I said I placed my order. I only paid aroun 400 cause of holiday sales so I saved at least 100 dollars. I am looking forward to my camera coming even more now after seeing those pictures!

Oh nice! yeah i just saw it, i guess MFK reduces the resolution of the picture cause the looks worse that the actual pictures, the lens your getting i would use for some basic videographing and stuff, i would get a better lens for some more better professional pictures, but hey its your first DSLR and see if you like it and like working with it then decide to invest your money into better equipment.

My advise would be to practice alot, even if its stupid pics of plates or random stuff around the house, the practice will help you get a feel for the camera and then taking shot of your fish will be more easier since its hard to get nice pics with fish since they always move and mess up the shot :irked:

here are some good reads online on Fish Photography
http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Learn-An...how-to-take-great-photos-at-the-aquarium.html

http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/articles/fish-photography-secrets-full-article.htm

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store