Once thought extinct cichlid found

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
It wasn't thought to be extinct. They had males they just didn't have a female and feared extinction. Either way it's a good story. Hopefully they still left some in the wild.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Typical stupidity - What happened to those 12, and the parents of those 12? This is what happens when zoos, and other "secular" establishments are too stingy with sharing information and breeding stock. The same is true of many other animals, and even plants.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
It wasn't thought to be extinct. They had males they just didn't have a female and feared extinction. Either way it's a good story. Hopefully they still left some in the wild.
Extinct in the wild. I thought adding that to the title would make the title too long.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
Typical stupidity - What happened to those 12, and the parents of those 12? This is what happens when zoos, and other "secular" establishments are too stingy with sharing information and breeding stock. The same is true of many other animals, and even plants.
That an intresting point. They had to know it was rare when they were first collected. If the pair breed once it most likely breed many times. It will be funny if they were sold to some petshop and there are hundreds around just no one knows what they have.

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
thats pretty neat!

Not the most attractive cichlid imo though haha

JRT8783

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2013
Minnesota
It says they want to start breeding them again. I hope they don't plan on breeding the 1 that's pictured... :banghead:

Sent from my LG-E980 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Because that fish is ancient - and not a good candidate for breeding.

They really need to track down the breeders and other fish they mentioned.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store