6" black arowana ok with pbass?

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Bad idea in my opinion especially with a black since there so slender...aros are pretty fragile against tankmates until around 12-18". They fold in half for a very easy meal (ur aro in half 3" is an easy snack for a 7" bass). Id let him pack on some size until u add him to general pop. Aros and bass are fairly good combos but they like to pick at eachother in my experience. The aro should be larger than the bass before u add them together.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Wouldn't recommend the mix until the aro is 11-12" long and should be 2x the length of the bass. You can try it and it may work out, but are you OK with loosing the aro?

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I wouldn't do it. different fish but my 6 inch bichir ate my 4 inch black aro. The aros are easy pickings since they are so easy to fit in a big mouth of a fish.

cpm6t

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2011
Sri Lanka
I put my 6" RTG arowana with my 10" pBass couple and he was fine. Now the aro has grown very close to pBass size. Size difference in your case is much smaller and you should be fine. Just put them in and monitor closely. Make sure your bass is well fed so that he doesn't attempt anything funny.

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
silver and balck aros are a lot more slender than the asain aros. They can be more easily swallowed IMO.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store