New tank and can't get the calcium off glass

Crazygn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2013
Maryland
I've tried vinegar but nothing , it looks ok when wet but once dry it's pretty bad. Looks like white stains nothing heavy

image.jpg

image.jpg

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
I use a razor blade for everything, but with stains on glass it wont work... I tried this on more than 4 tanks and all the tanks still have had build up that just looks "stained" on the glass. Clr is your best bet soak it a bit and wipe it off or if its stubborn use the razor blade after soaking it in clr.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; If vinegar and razor blades do not remove the deposits, then it may be possible that the glass is etched or physically frosted.
the pictures look to be mineral deposits, so vinegar should work given time. I have put vinegar in a spray bottle to better get it on the surface. A trick is to allow the vinegar to stay on the deposit for a while. The tank is large so laying it on the side is likely to be risky. Perhaps find some way to keep a cloth or sponge in place for several minutes to a few hours.

I use a new single edge razor blade in a holder that gives me a good grip. Hold the blade at a shallow angle when scraping. Soak the deposits a while and then scrape a bit while still damp. Be careful of the edge or corners of the blades becoming rough as they can leave fine scratches. Have several blades and change them often.

vinegar and CLR are mild acids that should soften the mineral deposits. Looks like the tank was partially filled for a long time.

I bought a dirty used tank some decades ago. When I cleaned it up there were scratches all over the glass. It looked like someone used an abrasive to clean the glass. I will buy a used tank now, but only if clean.

Good luck.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; If you do use muriatic acid, be careful. I have used it to clean the hull of a fiberglass boat. Wear a mask, rubber gloves and eye protection It is much stronger than vinegar and can do you harm. Probably should have decent ventelation.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store